5 Healthy Foods That Calm Your Anxiety
In addition to including healthy food in your diet, it's also necessary to get rid of those that can make you crave more calories or trigger anxiety.
We all want a healthy and attractive body. For some, however, it can be more difficult to resist eating more than what’s needed. When you eat more calories than you burn, weight gain is inevitable. Which healthy foods are the most recommended to calm your anxiety?
Above all, it’s important to make good choices. Occasionally, on top of wanting to eat between meals, some will eat high-calorie foods. The end result is a negative one for the body.
What causes cravings?
An untamed appetite can stem from many reasons:
- Poor diet: You eat very little in relation to your daily caloric requirements or you choose foods that aren’t filling.
- Skipping meals: You don’t eat for long periods of time which makes you lose control of your appetite.
- Stress: Some people alleviate stress or anxiety by having something in their mouth. When these things happen continuously, they can lead to an eating disorder.
Check out this article:
Recommendations for calming cravings
Reducing your levels of anxiety is possible. To do this, you need to change some of your daily habits and make good choices. In other words, you need to choose healthy foods that calm your anxiety.
Follow an eating schedule
Following a schedule can prevent your metabolism from slowing down. When you go a long time without eating, your body stocks up on calories, leading to weight gain.
- Prepare three main meals with moderate portions and two snacks to avoid having a ravenous appetite. Skipping meals often leads to an enormous appetite.
- If your daily routine doesn’t allow you to eat well, the best you can do is plan out your meals and include healthy food in your diet that will reduce your anxiety.
A well-balanced diet
It’s important to eat a moderate amount from each food group; otherwise you risk feeling unsatisfied after eating.
That tends to happen with processed food; the body craves real food and keeps feeling hungry.
No diet can be complete without vegetables and protein (that isn’t derived from meat, if possible).
Avoid junk food
Junk food usually refers to food that’s high in salt, sugar, and fat.
These kinds of food often have monosodium glutamate (MSG) or corn syrup, which activate the same areas of the brain as certain drugs.
They’re addictive, which is why when you eat junk food, you often want more.
Healthy foods that calm your anxiety
When you’re anxious to eat, the worst you can do is eat the first thing you can get your hands on. This is because it could be something that will increase your anxiety or make you gain weight.
Below are some options to consider.
It’s common to confuse thirst with hunger or anxiety. Our bodies need to be hydrated to function well. Also, drinking water makes you feel full.
Dried fruit includes seeds that contain good and healthy fats, or mono- and polyunsaturated fats. They have nutrients like vitamins, minerals, and omega 3.
There’s a myth that dried fruit leads to weight gain because of the fat they contain. However, this isn’t the case if they’re eaten naturally without being fried and without added flours.
- Nuts are an excellent option. They have less calories than dried fruit and make you feel full.
- The same can be said of almonds and pistachios.
- Hazelnuts are recommended for people who crave sweet things.
Oatmeal with fruit
Oatmeal is a cereal that’s rich in vitamins and minerals. It’s beneficial to liver functions and prevents constipation. In addition, they contain complex carbohydrates that help you feel fuller longer.
- When combined with red berries or dried fruit, they give your body a boost of vitamin C.
Did you know?
For chocolate to be a good choice, it should have more than 70% cocoa, and preferably without any added sugar.
Dark chocolate has antioxidants that prevent cardiovascular disease, reduce cholesterol levels, and regulate blood pressure.
Avocado has healthy fats for your body. Its delicious flavor is ideal for substituting butter, margarine, and mayonnaise.
- It’s a perfect ingredient for salads.
- Avocados are rich in vitamin E, which helps skin’s appearance.
- What’s more, they contain carotenoids that protect skin and eyes from the sun’s rays.