Honey is a very nutritious and healthy food.
It’s consumed around the world in large quantities, not just for its medicinal properties but also for its flavor. It’s a very unique and special ingredient.
However, before consuming any kind of honey, it’s important that you know where it comes from.
In general, there are two different types. The first is considered to be natural while the second is more commercial. Although they are very similar, there is definitely a difference in their properties.
- Natural honey is made by bees. This is the healthiest variety that exists, which is why it’s most recommended for regular consumption as well as other purposes.
- The commercial kind, on the other hand, is man-made. This product was developed to supplement the traditional product, making it easier to obtain but less healthy.
When you compare them, you’ll notice significant differences in the texture: natural honey is much thicker and more viscous, and contains more antioxidants and vitamins.
Because of this, we strongly recommend consuming only natural honey, as the commercial variety could lead to the development of medical problems.
The natural version, however, can have many benefits. Today, we want to talk a bit about them.
1. Honey fights acneAlthough honey’s primary role is nutritional, it can also be used for other purposes. You can even benefit from using it on your skin!
First, we want to talk about its topical application. If you suffer from a skin disorder like acne, honey is a great alternative.
To take advantage of its positive effects, we recommend you apply a little bit on any affected areas of your skin.
Although there are plenty of other natural and commercial alternative treatments for acne, this is one of the easiest, cheapest, and most useful. It’s also completely healthy for you!
Also read: 4 homemade anti-acne facial masks
2. It improves brain functioningOne of the main benefits of honey is its contribution to the absorption and fixation of calcium in your body.
This is where it can play a fundamental role in relation to brain function, which is dependent on the presence of calcium.
When you consume honey on a regular basis, your neurons are better able to use this mineral. Ultimately, it improves your brain functioning.
In addition to that, another benefit of consuming it regularly is the fact that it can optimize both your short and long term memory.
3. It cures cough symptoms
Of the many properties of honey, its antibiotic and antiseptic characteristics truly stand out. These are very effective for fighting the bacteria that cause the symptoms associated with coughing.
Consuming it also helps treat a sore throat and the general symptoms produced by illnesses like the flu.
The way you consume this ingredient can vary. Nevertheless, a simple tablespoon full can counteract plenty of symptoms and encourage healing.
4. It strenghtens your immune systemAs we mentioned above, this delicious ingredient has antiseptic and antibiotic properties, as well as phytonutrients.
This means that it’s also a great alternative for strengthening your immune system.
Not only is it excellent for eliminating microorganisms from your body, it also prevents their buildup in your nose and pores, which are the main ways that bacteria invade.
Visit this article: 6 tricks to strengthen your immune system
5. Honey treats woundsAgain, it’s worth mention this nectar’s antibacterial properties. After all, this is one reason it’s so good for your body in general.
In this case, you should not consume it, but rather apply it topically like we mentioned earlier.
Generally speaking, honey is suitable for any type of skin condition, including wounds.
- To apply it, first we suggest you wash your hands thoroughly.
- If possible, use gloves, and sterilize the instrument you’ll use to apply it.
- Try to completely cover the affected area.
- Once covered, place a sterile bandage over the wound.