Rice Water: 5 Health and Beauty Uses
Because of the nutrients it contains, rice water is believed to contribute to gastrointestinal health when consumed regularly as part of a balanced diet.
Rice water has become a huge trend in recent years, as it’s believed to have many beneficial properties. It contains significant amounts of antioxidants, minerals, vitamin E and other active compounds that make it an excellent ally for your health.
Rice is one of the most consumed foods around the world due to both its flavor as well as its nutritional value. It was first cultivated in Asia, where it’s used today as an alternative beauty treatment.
You can use use the grains to make a fermented rice water that makes a great facial toner, hair masks, or a healthy drink. Today, we’d like to show you how to make it, and all the different ways you can use it.
How do you make rice water?
Some people assume it’s the liquid left over after you soak rice, before cooking it. While this may work, the best way to make rice water is by boiling the rice in huge pot of water.
- ½ cup white rice (100 g)
- 4 cups of water (1 l)
- Pour the four cups of water into a large pan and leave it to boil.
- Once the water has come to a boil, add the rice and let it boil on low for 20 minutes.
- Remove it from the heat and strain it through a colander, keeping the liquid in a glass container.
- Store it in the refrigerator and use it over the course of a few days.
What are some of the uses and benefits of rice water?
During the cooking process, the rice releases high concentrations of B vitamins, folic acid, minerals and antioxidants into the water.
Rice water has sebo-regulatory and anti-inflammatory properties. As a result, people have begun to use it as a complementary treatment for a variety of health and beauty problems.
1. Natural conditioner
For strong, shiny, healthy hair, use this liquid in place of conventional conditioners.
- Wet your hair with plenty of rice water and let it work for a few minutes before rinsing with warm water.
- You can use this remedy up to three times a week.
2. Skin toner
The compounds in rice water reduce the size of pores, remove dead skin cells, and make UV-blocking products more effective.
These properties are why it stands out as one of the best substitutes for commercial skin toners on the market.
- Wet a cotton ball with the rice water, apply to a clean face and let dry.
- Go to bed with it still on your skin so that it can work while you sleep.
- Apply it every day.
3. Acne treatment
The anti-inflammatory and astringent properties of this product help to reduce the appearance of pimples. The difference between this and similar products is that it doesn’t contain harsh chemicals, and it leaves your skin feeling soft. It’s recommended as a complementary treatment for skin care.
- Apply directly to blackheads and pimples with a cotton ball or cloth.
- Use twice a day, every day.
4. Natural energizer
It’s believed that drinking rice water provides the body with 8 essential amino acids that contribute to muscle regeneration. It also contains a small amount of carbohydrates, which are a source of energy for those who play sports.
- Drink a glass of rice water half an hour before training.
5. Eczema treatment
The starch in rice helps treat symptoms of eczema. Use it to relieve itching, irritation, and dryness.
- Rub some rice water on the affected areas two to three times each day.
Read more: How to Eliminate Eczema Naturally
While rice milk can be considered a great supplement to a normal diet, by itself, it shouldn’t be considered a treatment for disease or a food source capable of satisfying all your body’s nutritional needs.