5 Habits to Help You Take Care of Your Dental Health
A healthy smile is what every person desires. Fortunately, these five habits will help you take care of your dental health and prevent tooth and gum problems. In addition, they’ll give you an excellent smile!
Healthy teeth require consistency. Hygiene is a series of care techniques that range from proper brushing to the use of dental floss and mouth rinses. It’s a daily task that can’t be neglected without running the risk of serious diseases.
The most well-known oral diseases are cavities, gingivitis, and periodontitis. Also, broken or darkened teeth, oral candidiasis, jaw clenching, mouth sores, and cancer are more common than we may think.
All of these have devastating effects on teeth, gums and on the tongue. That’s why it’s necessary to treat them in time to avoid greater problems.
- Cavities are directly linked to a lack of proper hygiene. They affect one in four adults. This dental problem causes pain and sensitivity to cold and heat.
- In addition, teeth can be broken when chewing foods such as nuts, hard candies, ice cubes, fingernails and biting pencils or other objects. They can also damage the jaw. However, a lack of oral hygiene also contributes to teeth fractures.
- Gingivitis is inflammation of the tissues that cover the roots of the teeth. The cause is the build-up of dental plaque due to inadequate hygiene. This reddens and inflames the gums, makes them bleed and causes bad breath.
- Periodontitis is an advanced form of gingivitis that can cause loss of teeth, painful abscesses, bad breath, bleeding and changes in the bite. The damage will be permanent if it’s not treated in time.
Check out this article: 3 Effective Home Treatments for Removing Tartar from Your Teeth
Habits to Help Take Care of Your Dental Health
1. Brushing Properly
It’s best to brush your teeth four times a day, especially after getting up and after every meal. In addition, it’s also important after you eat foods with sugar.
However, it’s not recommended to brush with force, as this could cause injuries or enamel wear. Gentle circular movements are the best to guarantee effectiveness.
The most recommended kinds of toothpaste are those that contain fluoride. This substance remineralizes the enamel and helps remove dental plaque by attacking the bacteria that produce it and that perforate the teeth, leading to decay.
In the temporary absence a toothbrush, rinsing your mouth with water will help to reduce the effect of the bacteria. Eating a green apple and then rinsing your mouth with water is another option.
It’s important to floss those places in the mouth that the toothbrush doesn’t reach. The teeth accumulate food between them that that generates a dense plaque, which is very harmful to dental health.
There are three very simple tools to help reach all corners: floss, inter-dental brushes and water flossers. Any of them are ideal for this important task.
3. Mouthwash is Absolutely Necessary for a Good Dental Health
Proper teeth cleaning is improved with the use of mouthwash. It finishes cleaning the spaces that can’t be reached with a brush or other tools.
There are rinses with an anti-cavity effect, whitening or those that minimize sensitivity. At the same time, all types of mouthwash give a pleasant sensation of freshness.
Take a look at this article: Why You Should Use Toothpaste with Coconut Oil
4. The Dentist: A Necessary Appointment
Proper dental hygiene should include visits to the dental clinic, where fluoride levels will be reinforced. In addition, they will do a deep cleaning and ideal products will be recommended to achieve the best oral hygiene.
5. A Healthy Diet for Dental Health
Adding calcium for better dental health can be achieved through food. Foods rich in vitamins and minerals should be part of your daily diet. Fish, vegetables, and fruits are beneficial for your whole body, including your mouth.
Other foods such as sweets and sugar-rich beverages are highly detrimental to teeth. Some, like coffee and wine, even stain them. In addition, hard candies can cause teeth to break
Proper oral hygiene will definitely contribute to dental and oral health in general. These five habits that help you take care of your oral health will guarantee a beautiful smile.