5 Habits that You Should Adopt if You Want to Gain Muscle Mass Naturally
Gaining muscle mass is one of the main goals for people who wish to have a strong and toned figure. Did you know that there are certain habits that, on a daily basis, can help you gain muscle mass naturally? Here, we’ll explain some of them.
Muscle mass has to do with the volume of your muscle tissues. In other words, it’s the lean mass that helps you achieve more strength and physical resistance.
However, getting it isn’t an easy task, since it requires a lot of continuos effort, both with your diet as well as with your physical activity. Also, it’s important to understand that this is a long-term project. Results can vary depending on one’s lifestyle.
Gain Muscle Mass Naturally with These Tricks
We know that there are many who are trying to achieve the goal of building muscle. Therefore, on this occasion, we want to share five habits that can help you achieve your goal in a natural and safe way.
1. Adopt a daily training routine
If your primary goal is to gain muscle mass, you should keep in mind that the only way to achieve this is by adopting a daily training plan that includes high-intensity exercises, which can be planned using a variety of methods, as explained in a study published in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research.
These types of activities cause micro-tears in the muscle fibers. Eventually, they are repaired by the body in a way that makes the muscles larger and stronger.
Of course, for this process to occur properly, it’s necessary to support it with a balanced diet that is rich in high-quality nutrients.
- First, adopt a cardiovascular exercise routine that will help you to lose the greatest amount of body fat possible, as detailed in a study published by International Journal of Sports Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism.
- Remember that increasing your muscle size happens in phases. Because of that, you should first focus on fat loss.
- After that, come up with a strength-training routine that works every muscle group in your body.
- Then, gradually increase the weights that you’re using, since overexertion can cause injury.
2. Eat between 5 and 6 healthy meals
Dividing your meals into 5 or 6 daily portions is one of the habits that helps you to gain and maintain muscle mass. Among other things, having various meals throughout the day keeps your energy levels up and, because of that, it is very important for improving your physical performance.
In addition, being well nourished is especially important if you’re going to increase the intensity of exercise. We can’t build a house without bricks; if we don’t provide the body with food, it will resort to “burning” muscle mass for energy, as a WebMD article details.
- Instead of eating 3 large meals a day, create a diet plan with smaller portions, 5 or 6 times a day.
- Be sure that you’re eating healthy foods and are controlling your calorie and fat intake. It doesn’t do any good portioning out your foods if they’re still unhealthy.
3. Increase your protein and carbohydrate consumption
High-quality proteins and carbohydrates play a huge role in strengthening and increasing the lean muscle in the body. These essential nutrients give your body energy.
And, as if that weren’t enough, they’re fundamental for optimizing the repair of muscles when you are exercising, as detailed in research published by The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
At the same time, proteins, which play numerous roles in the body, are also involved in this process. If we want to gain muscle mass, we will need to ingest them in recommended amounts, or even through supplements, as detailed in a study by the British Journal of Sports Medicine.
Furthermore, and similar to what happens with carbohydrates, a study published by Sports Medicine states that proteins are essential for an optimal muscle repair process during exercise.
Consume sources of healthy proteins like:
- Seeds and nuts
- Lean fish
- White meats
Don’t forget to choose good carbohydrates like:
- Wheat bread and pasta
Beyond all of the above, remember that, although they’re important for gaining muscle mass, too much of them won’t be good either. The best thing to do is to consult a specialist to develop the most appropriate diet for your specific case.
4. Increase your water intake
Water is one of the most important components that make up the body. Because of this, getting enough water is fundamental for keeping the fibers and tissues of your muscles in perfect condition.
A dehydrated body can lose muscle mass as well as develop fatigue and physical limitations, according to a Nutrition Reviews publication.
- Make sure that you’re drinking between 6 and 8 glasses of water a day.
- Increase your water intake during and after physical training.
5. Sleep well
Although it may seem like there’s no relationship, getting good quality sleep is one of the most important things you can do to guarantee lean muscle mass growth in the body. Therefore, it’s necessary to sleep between 7 and 8 hours a night without interruptions so that nothing interferes with your goal of growing your muscles.
During the rest period, muscles repair themselves. In addition, a good rest will help us to have more energy, which will optimize training, among other benefits highlighted in a WebMD article.
- Avoid using electronic devices or any other distraction right before bed.
- Be sure that your room is an adequate and comfortable environment.
- If you have trouble sleeping, try drinking a relaxing tea or enjoy an aromatherapy session.
Muscle mass is built up little by little
Remember that in order to achieve the best results, it’s necessary to be constant with all of the habits that we have mentioned. Your lifestyle should be completely changed, and you should avoid harmful foods and practices that can affect your muscle health as much as possible.
Lastly, we want to reiterate that it’s always best to go to a professional to recommend specific exercises and diet for your case. With these indications, you’ll be sure to gain muscle mass naturally and meat your goals.