5 Foods for Healthier Blood and a Happy Body

06 November, 2020
For good blood quality you need to have good production of white blood cells, red blood cells and platelets

How can you improve the quality of your blood and have healthier blood all around? Let’s start with the definition of blood, which is a liquid connective tissue which circulates through capillaries, veins, arteries, atria, and ventricles of all vertebrates. The red colour is caused by the presence of a haemoglobin pigment contained in erythrocytes.

Its consistency is dense, opaque, and flavoured with metal. However, the colour can vary: from scarlet, which is a sign of a high oxygen level, to dark red, which low in oxygen. The average pH of blood is 7.35 to 7.45. The temperature of blood is 38 °C – slightly higher than body temperature.

What does healthy blood carry?

  • Nutrients
  • Hormones
  • Antibodies
  • Oxygen
  • Carbon Dioxide
  • Electrolytes
  • Vitamins
  • Heat

Where is it made?

Blood cells are produced in the bone marrow which is the spongy tissue found inside some bones of the body such as the hip bone, the sternum, or the bones in the skull.

The human body contains approximately 4.5 to 6 litres of blood. 55% of blood is plasma, the liquid part composed of water, mineral salts, and proteins, whilst the remaining 45% is made up of red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets.

How can I begin a healthy diet?

  • Eat non-starchy vegetables like tomatoes, carrots, and spinach. It’s recommended that you reduce your intake of potatoes, but don’t cut them out altogether.
  • Look for healthy proteins such as lean meats, chicken, turkey, and fish. Avoid eating red meat, especially, processed meats such as bacon or sausages.
  • Whole foods are good choices. Rice, pasta, and wholemeal bread are healthier than white rice because of their fibre content. AS a result, blood sugar levels rise slowly and give us a feeling of fullness.
  • Use vegetable oils. Olive oil or canola oil are good options for seasoning. On the other hand, avoid using butter because it contains too much saturated fat.
  • Avoid sugary drinks such as juices, soft drinks, or iced tea. The best thing to do is to prepare some water with a touch of fruit.

What vitamins and minerals make up the blood?

  • Vitamin E: important for the most resistant red blood cells.
  • Iodine: contributes to the production of red blood cells and platelets.
  • Vitamin C: stimulates the absorption of iron.
  • Zinc: involved in the formation of lymphocytes.
  • Vitamin K: helps the coagulation of the blood.
  • Cobalt: helps in the production of haemoglobin and red blood cells.
  • Copper: ensures that iron is available for producing red blood cells.
  • Iron: essential for the production of haemoglobin, which is responsible for transporting oxygen to cells.
  • Vitamin B12: helps in red blood cell maturation.
  • Folic acid: contributes towards the maturation of erythrocytes and leukocytes.

Recommended foods


Liver is rich in vitamin A which helps improve the appearance of the skin due to its antioxidant properties. But it also increases the production of haemoglobin due to its high iron content. If that weren’t enough, it’s low in fat and provides folic acid to help sustain correct cell division.


As long as you’re not allergic or intolerant to egg, you should always include it in your diet. It’s a great source of proteins, minerals, and vitamins for healthier blood. In the yolk, in particular, you’ll find lecithin which is responsible for cleaning the fat in the arteries. Additionally, it contains choline which improves the nervous system.

It provides vitamin A, D and E, as well as minerals such as iron, zinc, selenium, phosphorus, and folic acid. And, all of these are essential for healthier blood and a healthy body.


These are great for people who don’t eat meat, because they help to balance the intake of nutrients because of their high protein content. But, they also provide carbohydrates, fibres, vitamins from group B, and minerals like iron, magnesium, and potassium.


Although nuts have a high calorie density, they provide important nutrients for the body if they’re consumed in moderation. So, they help you to have healthier blood since they contain healthy fats and omega-3 fatty acids.

Furthermore, they provide a variety of vitamins and minerals, such as potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, vitamin E, and vitamin B complex.


Potatoes work like a fuel the body needs to produce energy. They’re rich in vitamin B, folic acid, and minerals and they also provide flavonoids which protect against cardiovascular diseases and lower bad cholesterol.

For their part, the B vitamins are responsible for protecting the arteries. In particular, vitamin B6 decreases the levels of homocysteine ​​which is a chemical compound that contributes towards inflammation of the arteries.

So, when are you going to start taking steps toward healthier blood?