5 Exercises to Do Before Bed to Wake Up Refreshed
If you have problems sleeping, there are some exercises you can do before bed to help you wake up refreshed. According to the scientific journal PeerJ, exercise improves your quality of sleep with adverse effects. However, you still need to keep a few things in mind.
First, you should opt for low-intensity movements that will reduce your mental stress and physical tension. If you want to do more strenuous exercises, you should do them earlier in the day.
Here are the five exercises we recommend before bed to help you wake up refreshed.
Exercises you can do before bed to wake up refreshed
Taking a few minutes to exercise before bed can help you fall asleep more easily and wake up refreshed. Exercise can increase the amount of time you sleep for as well as your quality of sleep. This is especially true for those who suffer from insomnia.
A study in Sleep Medicine warns against doing vigorous exercise one hour before bedtime. However, it does state that moderate and low-impact exercise can be beneficial.
In other words, it’s best to choose more relaxing movements, like stretching or yoga. These exercises will help you calm down, both physically and mentally. Are you ready to start exercising before bed so you can wake up refreshed?
Keep reading: Insomnia Disorder: Causes and Treatment
1. Relaxing twists
- First, lie on your back on your bed and bring your knees to your chest. Then, put your arms around your knees for better balance.
- Next, rotate from side to side in slow motion. It should feel like a light massage for your lower back.
- Another way you can do this activity is by bending your knees a little without bringing them to your chest. Then, while supporting your back, you can twist both legs from side to side.
2. The child pose helps relieve tension so you can wake up refreshed
- This is a typical yoga pose and it’s ideal for reducing tension in your back and shoulders. It also helps stretch your hips. To start, get on your knees and bring your big toes together.
- Then, separate your knees from the hips. While you’re in this position, exhale and drop your chest towards your thighs.
- Lets your hands relax at your side with your palms up.
- If you want to do a more active pose, stretch your hands forward with your palms on the floor.
- Keep your forehead on the ground and turn your head slightly from side to side.
- Supplement the exercise with very slow breathing.
- Hold the pose for 1 to 2 minutes.
3. The butterfly
- To do this exercise, sit with your legs bent and the soles of your feet together (like a butterfly).
- Then, while keeping your back straight, try to lower your knees little by little until they touch the floor.
- Inhale and exhale as you do the movement.
- Stay in this pose for 1 minute.
4. Threading the needle
“Thread the needle” is an ideal pose to do before bed to help you wake up refreshed. This pose will help you relieve tension and sleep better.
- To start, get down on all fours with your wrists right below your shoulders and your knees under your hips.
- Then, inhale and raise your right arm towards the ceiling with your palm facing out.
- Exhale and bring your raised arm below your chest until your shoulder touches the ground.
- Turn your palm towards the ceiling and rest your cheek on the ground.
- You can keep your left hand in its original position, or you can lift it up above your head.
- Take 5 breaths. Then inhale, return to your starting position, and repeat the exercise on the opposite side.
5. Low lunge
Lunges are another exercise you can do before bed to wake up refreshed. Why? This posture helps you relax your psoas, which also has positive effects on your breathing. Therefore, by the end of your practice, your body will be ready to rest.
- While standing, step your right foot forwards. Then, slide your left knee back.
- Keep your neck stretched out and in line with your spine. Also, if you want, you can put your hands on your front knee.
- Take 5 to 10 deep breaths. Then, switch legs.
Tips for exercising before bed so you can wake up refreshed
Good, quality sleep is necessary for our overall well-being. Therefore, if you’re having trouble sleeping, it’s best to take action. Some disorders, like insomnia, need to be treated by a doctor or specialist. Also, sometimes you may need to incorporate other habits into your daily routine, in addition to exercise.
Regardless, light exercise before sleep can have a positive impact on your sleeping habits. In addition, you should keep the following tips in mind:
- Go to sleep and wake up at decent hours.
- Avoid caffeine and other stimulants.
- Try to not use your phone or other distracting devices before bed.
- Try various types of exercise. Not everyone finds relief in the exercises we mentioned, but there are other options.
- Avoid large dinners shortly before bedtime. Your last meal of the day should be light, about 2 hours before going to bed.
Wake up refreshed
In short, you don’t need to do strenuous exercise before bed to wake up refreshed. Instead, you should do simple activities that don’t take too much time and will help you relax.
Are you ready to try them?It might interest you...