5 Exercises to Burn Excess Fat
When taking the initiative to work out in order to eliminate accumulated fat ─or rather, burn calories─, it’s important to keep in mind that such action must be integrated with a balanced diet, as nutrition plays a major role.
This has been stated in a study summary by the School of Physical Education of Pontifical Catholic University of Valparaíso, the World Health Organization (WHO), which also suggests associating diet and physical activity to improve health and decrease the consequences of obesity.
We may have the idea that the area where fat accumulates most is the abdomen and therefore, it’s the only one we should work on. However, the idea is to reduce fat throughout the body.
Below we’ll recommend you certain exercises to eliminate body fat and keep you in shape.
Five Efficient Exercises to Burn Fat
The following exercises can help you adopt a good routine or complement the one you already have.
1. Traditional Abdominal Exercises
- For the first exercise, lie on your back on the floor or a soft surface, with your hands behind your head and elbows spread apart.
- Then, raise your legs to a 90 degree angle.
- Afterwards, lift your torso without lifting your lower back from the floor until you can touch your knees.
- You’ll need to contract your abdomen while doing from 10 to 20 reps, depending on your strength level.
- Don’t forget to rest for 60 seconds between sets.
Also check: Metabolic Flexibility to Burn Fat
2. The Plank
- Lie on a mat or directly on the floor, face down. Support yourself with the tips of your toes and your forearms.
- Lift the rest of your body from the floor.
- When you reach this degree of elevation, contract your abdomen for as long as you can and then take a break for 60 seconds.
- It’s essential that you keep a straight posture during this exercise.
- First, lie on your back on the floor with your hands behind your head. You can leave your legs straight or bent at a 90 degree angle.
- With your elbows spread apart, raise your torso to the right, then to the left, and finally to the center, repeating this sequence 10 to 20 times.
- Rest for 60 seconds between sets.
4. Exercises to Burn Excess Fat: Push-ups
- First, rest face down on the floor or a soft surface, supported by the palms of your hands and your toes. Remember to keep your back straight and arms spaced shoulder width apart.
- Push yourself upwards and downwards 10 times per set.
- Take a 60-second break between each set.
- This exercise works the arms, chest, abdomen and upper back, and helps you burn excess fat.
You may also like: Do You Want To Learn Which Fruits Burn Fat?
5. Leg Raises
- First, lie on the floor or a soft surface.
- Then, with your hands along your sides, proceed to lift your legs, without bending your knees, until you reach a 90 degree angle.
- Lower them to the starting position and repeat 10 times per set.
- Rest for 1 minute and repeat.
It’s advisable to work the areas of the body in an intercalated but continuous manner, in order to give your muscles a rest. However, it’s necessary to work intensively if you want short-term results.
In a study carried out by the Physical Education Department of the Universidad de La Frontera, it was proven that considerable reductions in fat and body weight can be achieved in a short period of time, as by combining regular high-intensity training and a healthy diet, the objectives are categorically achieved.
Other recommended exercises to burn excess fat include:
- Long walks.
- Climbing stairs.
- Aerobic exercise.
It’s also a good idea to keep a balanced diet and stay hydrated, especially when you’re working out.
Perseverance and discipline are vital to eliminate fat and obtain good results, without having to make great efforts or follow a super strict diet. Ready to get down to work?It might interest you...