5 Beet Recipes to Improve Your Health
Did you know that there are lots of recipes with beets that you can use to improve your health? This vegetable isn’t just used to make salads and soups – it can easily be incorporated into many other dishes.
The beet belongs to the quenopodiaceae family, which consists of around 1,400 species of plants. They are mostly herbaceous and belong to coastal and temperate areas. The beet is native to Europe. Luckily, many beet recipes can help boost your health.
Also sometimes called beetroot, the beet is a plant with a deep and fleshy root. The root can be eaten raw or cooked, although its properties are enhanced when it’s consumed raw. When you cook it, it’s best to leave the skin on and then remove it afterward. Beets are ideal for making salads and juices.
The beet may have a reddish to purple color. Its leaves are also edible and have a taste very similar to spinach.
The bright pigment of the beet is typically used to decorate other foods, such as ice cream, smoothies, soups, and even certain alcoholic beverages. Its reddish color is very attractive and stirs the appetite.
- Beets contain compounds that generate nitric oxide in the stomach to reduce high blood pressure.
- They also possess large quantities of folate and folic acid to prevent birth defects in children and heart disease.
- They contain high amounts of fiber, both soluble and insoluble.
- Beets have very few calories, as they’re mostly made up of water and carbohydrates.
- They act as a natural laxative and help you avoid constipation.
- Beets are considered to be a diuretic food, thanks to their high potassium content.
- Lastly, they are low in sodium, which helps you eliminate fluids.
Of interest : 9 fruits that fight constipation
Recipes with beets
1. For high blood pressureBeets are rich in antioxidants that will help improve your circulation. One of the best treatments you can choose is the following:
- 3 medium beets
- 1 cup of mineral water (125 ml)
- Wash the beets thoroughly. Cut them into small pieces and add them to the blender. Pour the mineral water on top and blend until you have a juice. Serve immediately and enjoy.
2. For anemia
This vegetable is an excellent source of vitamin C, iron, and folic acid. This helps strengthen your immune system.
- 1 medium beet
- one large tomato
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 of a red bell pepper (50 g)
- 1 cup of water (125 ml)
- The first thing to do is wash all the ingredients thoroughly. Next, cut them into smaller pieces. Add everything to the blender. Process for one minute and serve.
3. For rhinitisThis popular remedy made with beets includes eucalyptus leaves. It’s good for rhinitis because it contains betaine. This nutrient helps protect your cells, enzymes, and proteins. When you drink it, it also has expectorant effects.
- 1 beet
- 5 eucalyptus leaves (10 g)
- 4 cups of water (1 liter)
- First, cut the beet into smaller pieces. Chop the eucalyptus leaves.
- Bring the water to a boil in a pot and add the beet, followed by the leaves. Allow this to simmer.
- Remove from heat and drape a towel over your head so you can better in hale the vapors. Be careful not to burn yourself! It’s a good idea to repeat this procedure once a week before going to bed.
4. To eliminate toxins
The combination of antioxidants and lots of fiber helps your body eliminate toxins. It also improves circulation in your lymphatic system.
- 1 beet
- 1 stalk of celery (55 g)
- 1/2 of an apple (75 g)
- 1 cup of water (125 ml)
- Wash all the ingredients thoroughly. Then cut the apple, celery, and beet into smaller pieces. Add everything to the blender and process until you obtain a homogeneous mixture. You can drink this at least 10 minutes before each meal.
Read also: 6 smoothies to eliminate toxins
5. As a cough syrupThe combination of beets and honey produces the perfect cough syrup. In addition to the known antibacterial properties of honey, it also works as an expectorant. Beets, in the meantime, add oxygen and purify the blood.
- 1 beet
- 2 tablespoons of honey (30 g)
- First cut the beet in half. Create a small indentation in the center of each half. Add honey to the indentations. Roast the beets in the oven for 10 minutes until they are soft. Be sure to let them cool before eating. You’ll see how well your cough is reduced.