5 Alternatives to Avoid Sugar in Your Diet
Eating too much sugar can lead to certain diseases that can affect both children and adults. We'll show you some alternatives to sugar so you don't have to give up sweets, helping you maintain a health diet that includes fiber, vitamins and minerals.
Just thinking about living without sugar is disheartening. It can even make many people grumpy. After all, it’s a delicious ingredient that our body likes. However, nutritionists strongly recommend opting for sugar alternatives whenever possible to avoid sugar in your diet.
Fortunately, avoiding sugar doesn’t mean renouncing sweets. Therefore, there are recipes that allow us to enjoy delightful desserts and sweets without having to eat any sugar.
Why you should avoid sugar in your diet
Studies have shown that eating refined sugar leads to certain diseases. The most common are dental cavities, heart problems, a compromised immune system, and obesity.
Additionally, sugar also increases your probabilities of having cancer or an increase in dopamine.
Our body doesn’t need sugar, it needs glucose. Anyhow, there are other healthier foods available as alternatives to sugar that can provide us with this nutrient. Thus, you can avoid sugar in your diet.
The liking for sugar is not a necessity, but a habit. So, you can start getting into the habit of using sugar alternatives in your diet.
We recommend you also read:
Stevia is quite a popular natural sweetener nowadays. The stevia plant’s leaves have a sweet flavor. And so, currently, you can find powder stevia in the market, which actually has a similar appearance to sugar.
Therefore, this is a good alternative to avoid using sugar in teas and desserts. Some of its benefits are the following:
- Stevia helps control diabetes because it regulates the blood’s glucose levels.
- Its diuretic effect helps eliminate toxins.
- Stevia is a vasodilator that helps control blood pressure.
- It’s calorie-free, meaning that it prevents obesity.
Honey is the oldest natural sweetener around. It’s been present since the beginning of mankind. Currently, it’s a treasured product. It has become one of the best alternatives to substitute sugar for people of all ages.
Moreover, honey is especially good for children and the elderly because, in addition to sweetening foods, it contains nutritional medicinal properties.
Benefits that come with eating honey are the following:
- Honey provides fast energy.
- It has antibiotic properties and prevents infections. Hence, it helps with coughs and colds.
- Honey has healing effects.
- Additionally, it’s an antioxidant.
- Honey contains minerals, especially B group vitamins. It’s also a great source of other minerals such as sodium, magnesium, and zinc.
You can also avoid sugar in your diet by consuming Agave instead. It’s part of the aloe vera family. The syrup, a thick and sticky liquid, comes from its thick leaves.
Therefore, it’s become quite trendy and widely recommended. Agave has a sweetening effect that makes it an ideal alternative to avoid sugar in your diet.
Additionally, it has a high fructose content yet a low glucose content. Its fructose helps the blood’s insulin levels. As a result, it’s especially helpful for diabetic patients.
Some of agave syrup’s properties are the following:
- It’s anti-inflammatory and -microbial.
- Agave syrup helps improve the immune system.
- It aids in weight loss.
- Agave lowers cholesterol.
- It has benefits for the skin and postpones its aging process.
You may also like:
This sweetener originally hails from Japan. Amazake is made from rice in a fermentation process, which is common in Asian cooking. The process makes a heavy, sweet paste that can substitute refined sugar in all kinds of recipes.
Amazake has important nutrients and benefits for our body:
- It’s easy for the body to absorb and digest.
- Amazake has a good amount of fiber, which helps speed up digestion.
- It also contains B group vitamins and basic enzymes for the body.
Panela as a sugar substitute
Another way to avoid sugar in your diet is with panela. It comes from the evaporated juices of the sugar cane. There’s no refined or chemical product used in making panela. Thus, panela is becoming quite a popular alternative to avoid sugar.
Here are some of the panela properties:
- Panela has a powerful energizing effect.
- It has vitamins A, B, C, D, and E.
- It’s the sweetener that contains the highest amount of minerals.
Reducing our sugar consumption takes time. Therefore, changing our dietary habits can start by choosing one of these alternatives for avoiding sugar as a first small step. And so, each person should consider their own personal health situation and possibilities.