4 Ways to Use Garlic to Treat Hypertension
Did you know that, according to many studies, garlic is one natural ingredient that can be used to help protect your heart health? It's true! When combined with the appropriate medical treatment and a healthy lifestyle, garlic can help to reduce bad cholesterol (LDL) and regulate blood pressure.
Do you suffer from hypertension? Do you have a close family member who is beginning to have problems controlling their blood pressure? The first step is to always follow the advice of your doctor. They are the only person qualified to prescribe the right course of treatment for your condition.
Today, there is a huge variety of medications designed to treat hypertension, including:
- Thiazide diuretics, such as hydrochlorothiazide.
- Angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors, like captopril.
- Angiotensin II receptor blockers, like losartan.
- Calcium channel blockers, such as amlodipine.
It’s also important to be aware of the need to change your bad lifestyle habits. Improving your diet, restricting your sugar, saturated fat and salt intake (as confirmed in this study by the Pontifical Catholic University of Chile), and exercising on a daily basis are undoubtedly some of the best ways to regulate your blood pressure. However, there is one home remedy that’s worth keeping in mind: garlic.
Did you know that garlic can be used to protect your heart health? This was confirmed in a study conducted by the Valladolid University in Spain. It can be a great way to reduce bad cholesterol and regulate your blood pressure. However, further investigation is still needed to conclusively demonstrate these effects in humans and identify the amount of garlic necessary to produce these benefits.
Nevertheless, today we want to show you 4 recipes that may help you control your blood pressure when used alongside medical treatment, and the healthy lifestyle habits discussed earlier.
1. Garlic salt for controlling hypertension
Allicin is a medicinal enzyme present in garlic, and it is this enzyme that provides us with the majority of the benefits for our heart health. As such, it’s worth keeping in mind. You may also be interested to know that the ancient Greeks and Romans used garlic as a sort of daily medication to cure diseases and strengthen the heart.
Don’t forget that garlic is one of the best natural antibiotics in existence and that it is also a fundamental part the mediterranean Diet, which is considered to be the healthiest diet in the world. This diet is so healthy because it restricts the use of salt and mainly uses healthy fats from olive oil, for example. In fact, according to this study carried out by the Jaén Hospital, olive oil is highly recommended when it comes to promoting heart health.
Do you want to know how to completely eliminate salt from your dishes by substituting it with “garlic salt?” Take note.
Ingredients to make your own garlic salt
- 6 whole garlic
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- This is really simple. The first thing to do is peel the garlic cloves and sauté them in a skillet with the olive oil. Once they are a golden color, turn off the heat. Be careful that they don’t burn!
- After that, strain off the olive oil, so that they stay crispy and don’t retain moisture, and place them in a glass jar. Each time you need a little garnish to make your dishes tastier, you only need to grate some of this garlic and add it to your dish. You’ll see that it adds a very nice touch!
2. Consume garlic on an empty stomach
Despite what many believe these days, consuming garlic on an empty stomach won’t have any additional benefits for your health. Simply including it in your diet, however, is really healthy and highly recommended.
How should I use garlic to help fight high blood pressure and treat hypertension?
- The ideal thing is to consume two garlic cloves with a glass of water.
- It is possible that this remedy might seem a bit strong, but if you stop to consider all the benefits, then this little morning endeavor is worth the effort.
- If you’re worried about the possibility of it giving you bad breath, you just need to drink a little lemon juice or chew a mint leaf. The smell will disappear almost immediately!
Read more: 3 Natural Mouthwash Recipes for Bad Breath
3. Garlic marinated in olive oil
We can assure you this one is delicious. Taking a little garlic which has been marinated in olive oil is an ancient remedy that can be used for controlling hypertension in a very simple way. Not to mention that it is also a very delicious and original culinary resource.
What do you need?
- 20 heads of whole garlic, peeled
- 32 ounces of extra virgin olive oil
- A glass jar
How to prepare it?
- The first thing to do is peel the garlic cloves and split them in half. Now all you need to do is fill the glass jar that you have selected with the olive oil and add the 20 heads of garlic, which should be cleaned and cut in half.
- You should let the contents sit for at least three weeks before beginning to use this oil or the garlic. One excellent way to take advantage of the benefits of this remedy to help reduce high blood pressure is to spread this medicinal oil on two slices of bread and eat it daily. It is also recommended to eat two of the garlic cloves each day.
4. Garlic tea
Delicious! Tea made from garlic is another ancient remedy which is very useful when it comes to caring for our heart health.
If, for example, you decide to take those two cloves of garlic in the morning, you could then also drink this delicious tea at midday. These are both very effective ways to help treat hypertension. Take a look at how to prepare it:
- One garlic clove
- One glass of water
- A little bit of grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- A tablespoon of honey
- Begin by heating the water. Once it begins to boil, add the garlic clove (which you have previously crushed), the grated ginger and the tablespoon of honey. Stir well and let it cook for about 20 minutes. Afterward, strain the contents and you’ll be left with your garlic tea.
- Next add the lemon juice. It’s delicious!