4 Tricks to Keep an Erection
Not maintaining an erection during sexual intercourse is one of the problems that can most affect a man’s self-esteem. In addition, another of its consequences could be a lack of self-confidence at the moment of intimacy with a partner. If you’re going through this situation, here are some keys to dealing with it.
Erectile dysfunction is a condition in which a man can’t achieve an adequate erection of the penis during sexual intercourse. It’s also commonly referred to as “impotence,” and its symptoms may also include decreased sexual desire.
If this problem lasts for more than a few weeks or months, your doctor will probably diagnose erectile dysfunction and prescribe treatment accordingly. In the meantime, it’s worth noting that stress, alcohol, and obesity are great enemies of an erection, as indicated by several medical publications.
Possible causes of erectile dysfunction
The causes of impotence are varied and are generally related to bad lifestyle habits. These, sustained over the long term, are detrimental to a man’s health. Hence the importance of correcting and improving these habits whenever necessary.
Along these lines, Mayo Clinic professionals point out the following possible causes of erectile dysfunction:
- Sleep disorders
- Smoking, alcoholism, and other substance abuse
- Certain diseases like obesity, atherosclerosis, hypertension, heart problems, hypercholesterolemia, metabolic syndrome, Parkinson’s disease, and multiple sclerosis, among others
- Consumption of some medications as well as certain treatments for prostate cancer and prostate enlargement
- Among the psychological causes, we can mention chronic stress, depression, anxiety, fear of sexual dysfunction after a first experience, and other concerns
Tricks to maintain an erection
Apart from the following keys, which could help you as a complement to medical treatment, it’s necessary to highlight that erectile dysfunction is a problem that can have many causes. Therefore, it’s essential to consult a doctor for a professional and accurate diagnosis.
After the consultation, also consider the following actions:
Lift your spirits!
If you have erectile dysfunction, don’t get discouraged and keep in good spirits. There are many recommendations and tips you can follow to overcome this obstacle on the way to the full enjoyment of your sex life. Some of them are:
- Exercise the penis, specifically the muscle known as pubococcygeus. This is responsible for controlling the flow of urine and the contractions in male sexual climax. For that reason, professionals from the Boston Medical Group recommend exercising it through Kegel exercises, for example.
- Exercise by interrupting urine, but without squeezing hard, so you can prolong and enhance your erection. Just do it for three seconds by contracting your bladder.
- Check your vascular health. As explained above, high blood pressure and increased blood cholesterol levels are detrimental to sexual health.
- Avoid alcohol and tobacco at all costs or reduce your consumption.
You might like reading this article: How to Help Improve Your Partner’s Erection
A sedentary lifestyle directly harms sexual and reproductive health, among other areas. This lifestyle is directly linked to many of the causes of erectile dysfunction mentioned above, such as diabetes, being overweight, and metabolic or heart problems.
Don’t hesitate to exercise to strengthen your muscles and energize your body. Plan a scheduled routine and include a commitment to your well-being in your daily activities.
On the other hand, Kegel or pelvic floor exercises act directly on the contraction of the pubococcygeus muscle and are exercises designed to strengthen the pelvic area.
As indicated in the BMG publication mentioned above, practicing them helps to increase the quality of your orgasms and sexual experience. To do this, you should do the following:
- Lie on the floor with your feet flexed and your hands at your sides.
- Contract your pelvis for three seconds in an upward motion.
- Relax and release the muscle for another three seconds.
- Repeat this upward and then downward movement about 20 times.
- Inhale as you contract the muscle and exhale as you release it.
Good habits to promote an erection
Pay attention to the way you go about your daily life. A simple task could be the cause of your erectile dysfunction. So take note of the following suggestions:
- Beware of tight underwear. It’s been said that the increased temperature generated by tight clothing can increase the temperature of the testicles, which can impact sperm count and testosterone levels. However, despite this advice still being prevalent, 2018 research such as that done in Human Reproduction claims that this evidence is inconsistent.
- Get enough sleep every day. The minimum is seven hours, although it may vary from person to person. Lack of sleep can affect your quality of life.
- Try to do an activity you enjoy, whether it be yoga, meditation, or a sport. The idea is to release emotional tension and, thus, take care of your body and mind.
You might find this interesting: How Does Sex Therapy Help Address Erection Problems?
Adopt healthy eating
Do you know the expression “You are what you eat”? What you eat directly impacts your performance during sexual activity, which has been confirmed by a study published by Sexual Medicine Reviews.
Consider these foods to boost the health of your penis:
- Dark chocolate is one of the keys to maintaining a stronger erection because according to a publication by the Journal of Military Health, it contains flavonoids that help to dilate the arteries.
- Antioxidants: Black fruits and berries such as blackberries, blueberries, and elderberries contain high levels of anthocyanins, antioxidants that help increase libido in men. In line with the research mentioned above, a study from The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition confirms this link between antioxidants and health.
- Amino acid L-arginine: Ask your doctor if you can take this supplement. It’s found naturally in your body and is responsible for producing nitric oxide, an element that promotes erections because it’s responsible for relaxing blood vessels.
All your habits influence every erection
Finally, don’t worry about not getting results right away, because nothing happens overnight. Be consistent with good habits, and you will soon notice positive results.
A healthier life will allow you to improve your erection, self-esteem, and sexual health. Remember that it’s essential to consult a doctor if the problem persists to get an accurate diagnosis and a safe and effective treatment. Enjoy your sexuality as you deserve!It might interest you...