Healthy sauces can be thick or thin. They’re used to flavor your foods. Generally, they tend to bring out the properties of the main ingredient of your dish.
When the sauces are homemade and made with natural ingredients, they can even be beneficial for your body.
However, when you get them in the supermarket, they aren’t the best option. (This is mainly because they contain conservatives and other added chemicals that minimize or null the effects of the natural ingredients.) Also, commercial sauces contain a high caloric value that can be dangerous for your diet, especially when it comes to sauces that are made with eggs, like mayonnaise.
Sauces are an excellent option to please our palate and to make your “dry” dishes juicer and easier to enjoy. The key is to find the freshest and most nutritious ingredients so that they provide you with complete nutrients.
Try out some of the following recipes! You won’t regret adding them to your diet.
Four healthy sauces to go with your meals
The first healthy sauce recipe is vegan. It’s delicious when it’s served with rice, potatoes and other dishes (not just vegetables, but also meats and fish). I’s very easy to make and has very few ingredients. There’s no excuse to not try it!
- 1 cup of water (150 ml)
- 1/2 cup of mustard (100 g)
- 1 cup of oats (100 g)
- Mix the cup of oats with the 150 ml of water (previously heated).
- Let sit for about 15 minutes.
- After, in the same container, add the mustard and mix with a fork or small spoon.
The amount of oats and water depends on each person’s taste. If you want the sauce to be thicker, add more oats. Naturally, if you want the opposite, and you want it more liquid, add more water.
Basil and arugula sauce
For its part, basil is a medicinal plant that is perfect for treating anxiety, insomnia and inflammation. Because of that, this sauce is ideal for heavier dishes (like pasta, for example) and for slow digestion.
- Salt to taste
- 1 garlic clove
- A handful of arugula leaves
- A handful of basil leaves
- 1/2 cup of olive oil (80 g)
- 1 cup of walnuts (100 g)
- Soak the walnuts for 2 hours.
- Mix all of the previously mentioned ingredients in a bowl until you have a consistent mixture.
It’s recommended that you use it right after making it. If you choose to not do so, the best thing to do is store it in the fridge, in a sealed glass container, for up to two days.
Traditional tomato sauce
One of the most well known healthy sauces around the world is tomato. However, the most used kind is commercial. To get the benefits from this vegetable, we recommend that you make it at home.
Tomatoes are one of the best natural antioxidants and, in addition to that, contain large amounts of lycopene, vitamins A, B and C. They’re also considered a great source of potassium, calcium and magnesium.
- 1 cup of olive oil (150 g)
- 1 kg (2 pounds) of ripe tomatoes
- Onion to taste
- Cut the tomato up into small pieces and put in a bowl. Add the cup of oil to a frying pan; mix in the pieces of the ripe tomatoes and cook them over a low flame.
- Stir with the help of a fork or mixing spoon. If you want to add onion to your sauce, you should add it at the same time as the oil, while the ingredients are frying.
The end product can be stored for up to three days. However, we recommend that you use it right after making it in order to enjoy its benefits and freshness.
This recipe is another one of the more popular healthy sauces. It has many ingredients that work to enhance each other and has a great taste. Each ingredient has many healthy benefits, since they are highly nutritious.
- 1 leek
- 2 onions
- 1 eggplant
- 1/2 squash
- 500 grams of ripe tomato
- 1 tablespoon each of black pepper, sugar, salt, oregano and basil
- Cut up the tomatoes and set aside.
- Then, cut up the rest of the ingredients and mix them with the tablespoons of sugar, salt, pepper, oregano and basil.
- Heat the mixture for 5 minutes and stir with a fork.
- Enjoy as fresh as possible!