3 Probiotic Remedies to Improve Digestion
It’s important to include foods that promote a healthy intestinal microbiota in your diet every day. In that sense, some probiotic remedies rich in live microorganisms can improve your digestive system and your overall health.
In this article, we’ll share three probiotic remedies that will help improve your digestion. As they require different fermentation processes, we’ll show you how to make them step-by-step.
What are probiotics?
Probiotics foods that consist of live microorganisms. When you consume them, they remain active in your intestines, favoring the microbiota. Thus, they’re essential for good digestion and your overall health.
If you want to consume probiotic remedies, the best place to turn is fermented foods. In fact, the best option is to make them at home. This is because some of the products you can find on the market have undergone processes such as pasteurization which remove probiotics from foods.
Below, we’ll share some of the most popular and beneficial probiotic remedies. Also, they’re suited for all tastes, as they’re based on dairy products, fruits, and vegetables.
You should also read: Top 15 Healthiest Probiotics and Prebiotics
Three probiotic remedies
1. Kefir, one of the best probiotic remedies
Yogurt, which is a very popular food around the world, naturally contains probiotics. This is because it’s made through a fermentation process. However, when pasteurized, it loses beneficial bacteria.
Therefore, resorting to kefir is a great alternative. You can make this dairy product at home with a bacterial culture that feeds on the lactose in milk. All you need to do is add some kefir nodules that, over time, will grow in the drink.
- 1 cup of fresh milk (250 ml)
- 2 tablespoons of kefir nodules (20 g)
- For starters, warm the milk and combine it with the kefir in a glass container. You should try to make sure to leave some free space in the container. Another option is to cover the container with a cloth so that it can breathe.
- Then, let it ferment at room temperature for about 24 hours. The more time it ferments, the thicker and more acidic it’ll be.
- After this time, strain and repeat the process with the nodules. You can sweeten it with honey or brown sugar.
This article may also interest you: Discover Kefir: A Natural Way to Strengthen Your Body
2. Probiotic remedies: Pineapple peel drink
If you like pineapple, you should know that you can also take advantage of its peel to make one of the most delicious probiotic remedies. You can ferment it with sugar to make a refreshing and very healthy drink.
There are many recipes, including alcoholic beverages, with this fruit. Below, we propose a version that mainly consists of the peel, which is very rich in enzymes.
- 1 big pineapple o 2 medium ones
- 1 cup of sugar (200 g)
- 4 cups of water (1 liter)
- First, wash the fruit well.
- Then, put the peel in a glass container, along with the sugar and the water.
- Close the container well. However, you must open it twice a day.
- After that, ferment the drink from four to seven days. After the fourth day, you can taste it. If it’s still sweet, you can let it ferment more.
- Finally, strain the drink and sweeten it if you want.
- We recommend drinking it cold.
3. Sauerkraut, one of the classic probiotic remedies
Finally, you can reap the benefits of the most famous fermented foods in central Europe: sauerkraut. This technique allowed people to eat vegetables throughout the year when there was no other way to preserve them.
- 1 big and very fresh cabbage
- 1 tablespoon of salt (15 g) for every two pounds of cabbage
- First of all, wash the cabbage and remove all the leaves that aren’t in good condition.
- Then, cut it into very thin strips.
- After that, in a glass container, gradually introduce the cabbage and the salt in layers. Also, crush everything inside the container so that the cabbage releases its juice and to make sure there’s no air in the mixture.
- Nevertheless, there should be some free space in the container and the cabbage juice has to cover the mixture. You should check this as the days go by to squash the cabbage if necessary.
- The sauerkraut will be ready in a month or two, and both the cabbage and the juice will be rich in probiotics.
Are you going to try these probiotic remedies? Their flavor is intense and delicious, and consuming them every day will allow you to keep your microbiota in perfect condition, a guarantee of improved health!