3 Lentil Recipes To Enjoy with Your Family
Do you eat legumes at home? Lentils are among the most nutritious legumes. They’re also very versatile and can be included in all kinds of dishes. However, in many homes people barely eat them, so we’re sharing three lentil recipes that your whole family will love.
Remember that the nutritional recommendations indicate the importance of eating legumes at least twice a week. This is due to their high content of quality proteins. In the specific case of lentils, they provide:
- Slowly digested carbohydrates, mainly in the form of starch, followed by oligosaccharides.
- Good quality proteins, especially lysine.
- Soluble and insoluble fiber.
- Polyunsaturated fatty acids.
- Minerals like calcium, potassium, magnesium, phosphorous, and zinc.
- B vitamins (niacin, thiamine, B6 and folates).
We’ve chosen three easy lentil recipes to share that are perfect for making with your children. Additionally, we have ideas for hot and cold dishes that you can eat at a picnic in the park or take to the beach. Let’s cook lentils!
Lentil recipes for the whole family
Get ready to cook all kinds of meals with lentils! In reality, they’re super versatile and their nutritional value makes them worth incorporating into your family’s diet. Also, they’re very cheap!
You can combine them with meats and vegetables, use them to prepare a tasty stew, or opt for a healthy salad. The options are unlimited and only depend on your imagination!
Here are some ideas.
Read also: The Health Benefits of Lentils
1. Lentil and coconut milk soup
This is perhaps one of the most exotic lentil recipes we’ve discovered. Adding coconut milk gives this soup a unique creaminess. Be sure to try it!
- 2 medium onions
- 200 g red lentils
- 20 g grated ginger
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 300 ml of vegetable broth
- 1/2 kilo of tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 200 g of Greek yogurt
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Mint (to taste)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- First, prepare the vegetable stock and set off to the side.
- Then, finely chop the onions and save for later.
- Next, wash the tomatoes well, peel them and cut them into small cubes, and set aside.
- After that, heat the olive oil in a frying pan.
- Add the chopped onions and the two crushed cloves of garlic to the pan. Stir them a few times.
- Then, add the grated ginger and mix.
- After a minute, add the tomato cubes, vegetable stock, coconut milk, and lentils.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then lower the heat and cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Next, add the Greek yogurt and the chopped mint.
- Finally, add the lemon juice and, if you’d like, decorate with a couple of mint leaves.
2. Lentil recipes: Eggplant stuffed with lentils
Eggplant is mainly made up of water, which is why it’s usually included in weight loss diets. Combined with lentils, you can create a delicious diet dish that’s ideal for bringing with you to the office.
- 150 g cooked lentils
- 2 eggplants
- 1 onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1 medium carrot
- 100 ml of vegetable broth
- Tomato sauce (as much as you need)
- Nutmeg, cumin, and turmeric (to taste)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- First, cut the eggplants in half and make small cuts in the pulp, to make a grid.
- Then, place the eggplant halves on a baking sheet, season with the spices to taste and cook in the oven at 200 ºC (around 400 ºF) until well cooked (about 30 minutes).
- While the eggplant is baking, cut the vegetables into small cubes and fry them until well cooked.
- Next, add the crushed tomato and spices. Cook a few minutes and add the lentils. Let cook until sauce thickens.
- When they are ready, remove the eggplants from the oven. Remove the flesh from the eggplants and add it to the lentils. Stir it a little and after a few minutes, add the broth. Bring to a boil.
- Then, taste the lentils and add salt and pepper if necessary.
- Finally, fill the eggplant halves with the lentils and vegetables, sprinkle a little Parmesan on top and heat in the oven for a couple of minutes, until the cheese melts a little. It’s ready!
Also prepare: Mushroom Lentil Burger: Two Variations
3. Lentil recipes: Lentil salad
This salad is one of the best lentil recipes to take to a picnic or to the beach, as well as the office, of course. It’s a complete, tasty, and very nutritious dish. Do you want to try it now?
- 200 g cooked lentils
- 1/2 green pepper
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1 chive
- 1 tomato
- Basil leaves (to taste)
- Extra virgin olive oil (to taste)
- Salt and pepper to taste)
- First, wash the peppers well, remove the seeds, and cut into small cubes.
- Then, chop the chives and cut the tomato into cubes.
- Next, serve the cooked lentils in a bowl and add the vegetables.
- Season to taste and season with extra virgin olive oil.
- Garnish with some basil leaves and enjoy your lentil salad!
Note: you can also add tuna, crab sticks, carrots, broccoli, olives, and anything else you can think of!
Are you excited to add legumes to your weekly meals? As you can see, lentil recipes can be extremely varied, so you’ll never get bored of them! Change your recipes and enjoy the benefits of legumes.It might interest you...