3 Home Remedies with Honey for Respiratory Health
Respiratory problems are fairly common. The main ones are coughs, flu, colds, tonsillitis and phlegm. If you tend to suffer from these frequently, you should know that you can use honey to help care for your respiratory health. These home remedies with honey can be used in conjunction with the drugs that your doctor has prescribed.
You’ve likely had a close relative recommend a honey-based remedy to help care for your respiratory health. That’s due to the fact that honey has been shown to be a food that has many beneficial properties for human health.
In fact, there are several studies that show that one of the best qualities it has is its antioxidant potential. However, its benefits don’t stop there.
The benefits of honey
Using honey to help with your respiratory health (and the rest of your body) is highly recommended, even by doctors. To appreciate it in greater detail, let’s look at its medicinal value:
- Natural source of antioxidants: this means that it helps to keep cells healthy and, in turn, helps slow cell breakdown and prevent premature aging.
- Improves immune system response, which helps to fight diseases. If you tend to have a lot of respiratory problems, consuming more honey can help (in moderation, of course).
- It’s a great antiseptic: honey has been found to have microbial capacity that inhibits the growth of fungi and bacteria.
- Effects on glycemic regulation: honey helps balance glucose production and consumption. This is great for those with diabetes.
Read more: The Glycemic Index of Honey and Diabetes
It’s important to choose organic honey that doesn’t contain sugars or preservatives. That way, you will be consuming a quality product that’s much healthier than commercial alternatives.
Next, we will discuss the recipes for 3 home remedies with honey that will improve your respiratory health. We think they may be useful for you.
Home remedies with honey
1. Water with honey
This is the first of our honey remedies to help with respiratory health. It is very easy to prepare and will allow you to benefit from all the properties of this great food.
- 2 tablespoons of honey (20 g)
- 3 cups of water (300 ml)
- Juice from 1 lemon (30 g)
- Put the water in a pot and bring it to a boil.
- When it reaches its boiling point, lower the heat and let it rest for about 3 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons of honey.
- Don’t forget to add the lemon slices or juice (freshly squeezed).
Also read: Three Honey Remedies to Relieve the Flu
2. Honey syrup with lemon
Another remedy with honey to care for your respiratory health is to make honey syrup with lemon. As you can see, lemon is an essential complement to honey since it’s an excellent antibacterial.
- 2 teaspoons of honey (10 g)
- Juice from 1/2 lemon (15 ml)
- Put the two tablespoons of honey in a bowl.
- Squeeze the juice from 1/2 a lemon.
- Put the container in the microwave for 20 to 30 seconds.
- Eat by the spoonful while it’s still hot.
3. Honey garlic remedy
As with the previous remedies, honey will be the main ingredient for this one, but we’ll also add garlic. What does this new ingredient contribute? Its antiseptic properties will help fight respiratory problems more effectively.
- 10 garlic cloves
- 3 1/2 cups of honey (350 g)
- Juice from 1 lemon (30 g)
- Peel the garlic cloves, cut them into slices and put them in a clean, empty jar.
- Add the 350 grams of honey and the juice from one lemon.
- Close the container and let it marinate for a week.
- After that time, take one teaspoon a day on an empty stomach.
As you can see, all these remedies with honey to care for respiratory health are easy to make. Which of them have you already tried or are already familiar with? We encourage you to try these 3 remedies if you have a cough, a cold, have phlegm or if you are suffering from an itchy throat. They’ll provide you with relief and they will help you feel better.It might interest you...