Be it for work, family or even personal reasons, it is quite normal for people to live sedentary lives in which they practice no sort of activity. Perhaps they don’t notice it right now, but over time their body will suffer various problems that affect their quality of life. So here are a few simple exercises to start getting active little by little.
Obesity, cardiac problems, cholesterol…There are a lot of problems that we could alleviate by introducing basic exercises that help improve health. Sometimes just doing 30 minutes a day is enough. But be that what it may, you must be consistent. Are you motivated? Remember that one requisite for being firm regarding exercise is to not do it alone. So…how about you motivate a friend or family member to join you? Choose one of the three selected exercises that are easiest for you to do, and you could even combine and alternate them by days. The most essential thing is that you do it every day and that you consider it to be one more habit in your life. Your health will thank you for it.
The benefits of going up and down stairs
This might surprise you, but there have been a lot of studies performed, and a lot of cardiologists that recommend this simple exercise. This is an excellent way of improving heart health, strengthening leg muscles, burning calories, and getting sufficient cardiovascular training. In just half an hour, you could burn up to 342 calories. Dr. Roy Shephard of the University of Toronto (Canada) confirms that just walking up steps that measure 20 cm at a rate of 20 per minute can bring about incredible results in health. This is undoubtedly one of the best exercises you could do.
- Cholesterol and blood pressure reduction, thereby lowering the risk of suffering from heart diseases.
- Greater leg muscle strength and greater cardiopulmonary endurance.
- Burns calories.
- Strengthens bones.
- Improves circulation and muscle tone.
How to do it?
- At home, shopping centers or even at work.
- Between 20 and 25 minutes every day.
- Go up each stair with a straight back, trying not to hunch forward. Pay special attention to controlling your leg movement and foot bending.
- If you have a prosthetic knee or some other leg injury, do this very slowly. Consult your doctor before doing this exercise daily.
Benefits of bicycling
Another very beneficial and highly recommended exercise. If you have a bicycle and you have the opportunity to find a good space to ride around it without risk, don’t hesitate to do so. And what’s more, if you have the ability to substitute your car for a bicycle to go to work, all the better. Bicycling 30 to 35 minutes a day is enough, and if you have company it will be even more pleasant.
- Reduce the risk of heart attack by 50%,
- Prevent back pain and protect joints. Pedal movement stimulates the muscles of the dorsal vertebrae and strengthens the lumbar area (thereby preventing herniated discs). Knee joints are also improved by these cyclical movements, also helping to protect cartilage strength.
- Improves immune system. Bicycling and doing these elemental exercises with your body, moving phagocytes, the cells that devour bacteria in the human body, eliminating all sorts of toxins.
Benefits of walking daily
In order to reap the benefits of this simple exercise, you must do this daily and walk at a quick pace for half an hour. This isn’t exactly running, but lightly stepping so that your body and heart stay at optimum functioning levels during this short period of time.
- Strengthens the heart, preventing cardiac diseases and reduces cholesterol.
- Controls weight. If you slowly accelerate your pace you will increase your muscle mass, increase your metabolism and burn more fat.
- Prevents dementia and cerebrovascular accidents.
- Prevents osteoporosis. Stimulates bones and strengthens them, thereby also improving joint efficacy.
- Tones glutes and abdominals. For this, you need to pay attention to your posture while walking. Try to walk upright and in a comfortable position. Don’t slouch forward.
- Increases your levels of vitamin D. You will obtain this essential vitamin for bone and immune system health by walking under daylight.
- Increases your energy and well-being. This is much more beneficial if you walk for half an hour in the company of your partner or a friend, and you will feel much lighter. Studies show that walking daily reduces stress and anxiety levels. Breathing fresh air frees you and disconnects you from you obligations for a few moments, which is undoubtedly the best vitamin you can obtain from this exercise.
So how about starting today?