20 Types of Honey and Their Incredible Health Benefits
Did you know that there are at least 20 types of honey at your disposal? Each one of them has different but similar properties and benefits. You just have to choose the one you like the most or the one you need!
Today, you will discover the different types of honey and their benefits for your health.
The types of honey and their benefits
Next, we’re going to tell you all the varieties of honey that you can find in the market.
1. Linden honey
Linden honey is light in color and almost transparent. Its taste is quite sweet. Some of its health benefits are as follows:
- This type of honey is used to treat the symptoms of colds and cases of flu. Some of its compounds such as propolis are useful to improve the functioning of the immune system, according to a study published in Nutrients.
- In cases of the flu, it can increase sweating if taken warm and mixed with lemon.
2. Floral honey
This is also known as meadow honey or multi-flower honey because it’s made from the pollen of different species of flowers, depending on the area where the bees and hives are located. It has a strong aroma and taste.
Here are some of its properties:
- It can be used to improve your defenses (of the immune system).
- It can help calm the symptoms of seasonal allergies.
- According to research published in Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity, it also has antioxidant properties.
You might like to read: The Aging of the Immune System and How to Fight It
3. Acacia honey
Acacia honey has a rather light color, and its taste is sweet. It’s not recommended for children under the age of one year. Otherwise, a disease known as infant botulism may occur. This is evidenced by an article published in Lakartidningen.
That said, we’d also like to note one interesting property of this type of honey:
- If consumed before bedtime, it can help calm anxiety and nerves in adults.
4. Types of honey: Buckwheat honey
This type of honey is the darkest of all, and its taste is a little spicy. Despite this, its properties are very beneficial to our health.
- It’s high in antioxidants and minerals.
- It can help improve coughing in children.
5. Sage honey
Sage honey is usually yellow with some green tinge. The benefits it brings to our health are very interesting:
- It helps treat respiratory problems, such as coughs.
- Sage honey helps to strengthen the immune system
6. Chestnut honey
Its characteristic brownish-red color makes it special and striking. This type of honey has a rather strong taste and offers the following benefits:
- When added to homemade toothpaste, it can help prevent tartar buildup.
7. Types of honey: Jerusalem thorn honey
Jerusalem thorn honey is yellow in color. However, the downside of this seventh type of honey is that isn’t not very easy to obtain and find in stores.
That said, here are its benefits:
- It can help strengthen the immune system.
- Also, it can help relieve respiratory problems.
8. Mountain honey
This type of honey has many medicinal properties because the raw material comes from uncontaminated herbs from the mountains.
- It helps soothe sore throats.
9. Types of honey: Lavender honey
Lavender honey is very fragrant and has an intense flavor. Without a doubt, it’s a type of honey that you’ll love if you like the smell of lavender!
- It helps us to relax thanks to the power of honey and the intense aroma of lavender.
10. Hawthorn honey
This type of honey is brownish, and its taste is quite spicy. However, it has several very interesting properties, of which we’d like to highlight the following:
- Hawthorn honey is often used forits calming effect.
11. Evodia honey
Evodia honey is widely used in the United States and has a high nutritional value.
- Its contribution of nutrients makes it an excellent ingredient to maintain good overall health.
12. Type of honey: Calluna (heather) honey
Because of its dark yellow color and pleasant taste, this is an ideal choice for children.
- It helps to reduce sore throats.
- Also, it can help calm coughs.
- Calluna honey helps to treat respiratory disorders.
13. Amorphous honey (false indigo)
This type of honey has a reddish color and a very mild flavor. It can be consumed with warm milk before bedtime to get a restful sleep. It also has other benefits, such as the following:
- It can be used to combat fatigue and provide a good dose of energy from the early morning.
- Also, it’s a great source of minerals and vitamins.
14. Sunflower honey
Sunflower honey is yellow and has a characteristic aroma. It’s main property is as follows:
- It helps to treat respiratory problems.
15. Types of honey: Dandelion honey
Its intense yellow color and strong aftertaste make it perfect honey for those who appreciate good flavors.
- This type of honey has many vitamins.
Read this article: 3 Home Remedies with Honey for Respiratory Health
16. Rosemary honey
This is another beautiful type of honey. It has a strong taste and a light yellow color. Some of its beneficial health properties are as follows:
- Its thick texture makes it ideal for treating coughs.
- It can help relieve stomach heaviness after heavy meals.
17. Types of honey: Rapeseed honey
This type of honey, rapeseed honey, has the pollen from many flowers. There are two main benefits it brings to our health and they’re quite interesting:
- It’s highly nutritious.
- Rapeseed honey can provide a good amount of energy to athletes.
18. Goldenrod honey
Its golden or dark yellow color and exceptional aroma make this another type of honey a must in the home.
- This honey can help reduce stress and anxiety, among other nervous disorders.
19. Forest honey
Also called honeydew, it’s dark and delicious. This type of honey has a lot of iron. Therefore, it also has the following benefits:
- It’s ideal for people with iron deficiency (although they should not stop taking the medicines prescribed by their doctors, of course!).
- It’s a good addition to athletes’ diets, as it is low in sugar and minerals.
20. Types of honey: Manuka honey
This last of the types of honey is produced from the flowers of the tree of the same name, which only grows in New Zealand. It’s said to be the healthiest type of honey in the world. It has a great anti-bacterial activity.
As you can see, there are many types of honey with different but complementary health properties. We recommend that you try as many as you can until you discover the types you like the most. Many of them will surprise you with their incredible taste!It might interest you...