Chocolate has a really pleasant flavor, ideal on its own or combined with many other foods and desserts. Many people feel guilty after eating chocolate without realizing that a few ounces a week can provide their body with healthy nutrients. Keep reading to discover 20 facts about chocolate!
A growing number of studies has determined that dark chocolate is rich in antioxidants, which makes it a great addition to any diet thanks to its important health benefits. These studies found that dark chocolate is loaded with flavonoids, which are powerful antioxidants that protect the body from different diseases.
There are many things about chocolate that people don’t know. After reading these 20 facts, we have a feeling that you’re going to start eating chocolate a lot more often.
20 facts about chocolate
- Chocolate contains a negligible amount of caffeine when compared to other products like coffee and tea.
- Eating chocolate can help treat and prevent different aches and pains as it’s a natural analgesic.
- Just one piece of chocolate can provide your body with enough energy to run 500 feet.
- The nutrients in chocolate help the growth of good bacteria in the body.
- Due to its flavonoid content, chocolate protects the skin from the sun and prevents sunburn.
- Its aroma increases theta brain waves, which induce a state of relaxation. Eating chocolate also stimulates the excretion of endorphins, which are responsible for feelings of pleasure and well being, on top of increasing serotonin levels.
- Eating chocolate improves memory and concentration. This is also due to its flavonoids, which increase blood flow to the brain for two to three hours after eating it.
- It can help prevent cavities as the antibacterial agents in cocoa beans counteract the high levels of sugar.
- It reduces fatigue and improves physical performance.
- The high antioxidant content in dark chocolate can increase life expectancy in those who consume it regularly.
- In a study published in Physiology and Behavior magazine, it was foud that a piece of dark chocolate can help you see better in low light conditions.
- It’s really good for the heart thanks to its antioxidant content. Eating dark chocolate helps dilate the arteries and promotes blood flow. In addition, it helps prevent plaque from accumulating on the artery walls.
- Although many people won’t believe this, chocolate can help with weight loss thanks to its antioxidant content and power to satisfy.
- Eating chocolate during pregnancy helps prevent stress and improves mood.
- It’s found in a large number of beauty products as it moisturizes the skin and helps prevent wrinkles.
- It’s believed that dark chocolate can help control and prevent coughs.
- Its antioxidants keep you looking young.
- The flavonoids in chocolate fight free radicals in the body. Because of this chocolate helps prevent disease and promotes cellular regeneration.
- Recent studies determined that women who eat 20 ounces of dark chocolate a week reduce their risk of suffering from a stroke by 20%.
- Cocoa contains oleic acid, a type of fat that can help raise levels of good cholesterol.
Tips for eating chocolate
- Dark chocolate is the most beneficial to your health. While some types of white chocolate retain certain beneficial properties, they still tend to be less beneficial than the dark variety.
- Moderate your chocolate consumption to a maximum of 2 ounces per day.
- Those with diabetes and problems with obesity should consult their doctor before adding dark chocolate to their diet.
- When buying chocolate, make sure that it contains at least 65% cacao.