Two Recipes to Make Stuffed Aubergines
Aubergines, or eggplants, are wonderful for your health. In this article, we'll share two great recipes to make stuffed aubergines.
Do you ever cook with eggplants, or aubergines? One option that’s both healthy and nutritious is making stuffed aubergines.
It’s more common to find aubergines in pasta or as some kind of garnish and even in snacks. However, would you believe us if we told you that it’s possible to make lasagna and even a Spanish omelette with it?
What makes it possible is the versatility of the eggplant itself. It’s well known that in its natural state, it’s delicate and soft in appearance but it undergoes interesting changes after using various cooking methods.
Another important, relevant aspect that is appropriate to highlight is that aubergines are highly recommended for your health, especially for preventing airborne diseases.
Also, if you’re the kind of person who suffers from water retention or weight problems, consuming stuffed eggplant will help because of its diuretic and antioxidant effects.
Below, we’ll give you two recipes so you can make stuffed aubergines.
Two Great Recipes for Stuffed Aubergines
1. Eggplant Lasagna
Although lasagna is usually made with meat or chicken, today we will bring you this peculiar but incredible, healthy and nutritious recipe using stuffed aubergines.
- 2 aubergines cut into slices
- 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil (60 ml)
- 1 pinch of salt (15 g)
- 1 pinch of ground black pepper (15 g)
- 2 ½ cups of homemade tomato sauce (375 ml)
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 2 cups of ricotta cheese or mozzarella (300 g)
- 3 eggs
- First, start washing the aubergines (eggplants) very well without removing their skin.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C while you take care of the other steps.
- Cut the eggplants in strips (preferably in cross sections).
- Have a baking tray ready and place the eggplant strips on it. Next, use a brush, and apply oil so that they won’t stick when they go into the oven.
- Season the strips with enough salt and pepper, and put them in the oven for 10 minutes until they’re soft.
- Meanwhile, sauté the diced chicken breasts along with the rest of the ingredients (salt, pepper, tomato sauce, eggs and ricotta cheese) in a pan with a drizzle of oil until they’re well mixed.
- Remove the eggplants from the oven, let them cool a little and then proceed to assemble the lasagna.
- Do so in this order: eggplant strips, layer of chicken filling, layer of cheese (of your choice), spoonfuls of the stew sauce, another layer of eggplant. Continue until the ingredients are used up.
- Finally, put it in the oven for 30 minutes and then let it cool so you can cut it better.
2. Eggplant omelette
In many countries, the most famous omelettes are made with potatoes or eggs, but this doesn’t mean that they can’t be made with stuffed aubergines.
In fact, preparing eggplants in this style will give you the option of combining them with other similar ingredients such as peppers, zucchinis or tomatoes. It is a matter of your creativity to make it your own.
- 5 eggplants
- 7 eggs
- 3 shallots
- 1 tablespoon of salt (15 g)
- 1 spoonful of black pepper (15 g)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil (30 ml)
- Begin by dicing both the shallots and aubergines, and set them aside.
- Then, for about 5 minutes, sauté the diced shallots and aubergines in a frying pan with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Next, crush them as well as you can until they’re almost flattened. Turn off the heat for a moment and be sure to drain the excess oil so that you can take out and set aside the shallot and aubergines puree that you have made.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and beat them vigorously until the mixture begins to foam. Put the pan back on the fire, wait until it’s hot and pour the whisked egg together with the eggplant and shallots.
- Let it slowly set over the heat, and don’t forget to season it with salt and pepper.
- Use a large pot lid to flip the omelet in the pan. Continue cooking until both sides of the omelet are cooked.
- If you prefer, sprinkle on a little more ground black pepper and a bit of a cheese of your choice.
- Enjoy your delicious omelette!