12 Uses for Aluminum Foil You Didn’t Know About
You can clean your iron if you place a sheet of aluminum foil on the ironing board with a bit of salt. Just run your appliance over the foil to make it nice and clean
Aluminum foil is a product present in millions of kitchens around the world. It has a ton of possible uses and is perfect for storing different foods. You probably have a roll of aluminum foil in your kitchen that you only use to wrap up and store leftover food. If that’s the case, you’ve probably been using this product only one way for a long time, when you could actually be using it for a number of different things around the house.
Before we show you 12 different ways to use aluminum foil, we want to clear up a few common questions about the uses of this product.
Can you use both sides of aluminum foil?
If you look at a sheet of aluminum foil, you’ll see that it has one shiny side and one duller side. Many people ask which side they should use, but the answer depends on how you plan on using it. Aluminum foil manufacturers have explained that both sides of aluminum foil have exactly the same use. So, in theory, you can use both sides of this product. However, if you plan to use it to transport food, it’s a different story.
For example, if you plan to use it to cook something in the oven, you should keep in mind that the shiny side absorbs more heat because light reflects off of it more easily. So, when it comes to cooking foods in the oven wrapped in aluminum foil, you should do so with the shiny part inside and the dull side facing outwards.
Is using aluminum foil dangerous?
Up until this point in time, all studies carried out by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the Food Standards Agency (FSA) or the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) have shown that aluminum foil is completely safe to use while cooking. Although some sources have said that it can transfer metals to your food, it has yet to be proven whether these metals actually end up being absorbed by the person and whether they are harmful to one’s health.
What other uses does aluminum foil have?
In addition to keeping your food fresh or serving as a tool in which to cook your favorite meal, aluminum foil can be really useful for a number of different household activities.
- Is your brown sugar lumpy? If this happens to you, just wrap it up in some aluminum foil, pop it in the oven for 5 minutes at 150º C and your sugar will return to its normal state.
- If you want to extend the shelf life of bread, cookies, or any other fresh bread product before eating it, just wrap it up in aluminum foil right after it comes out of the oven.
- Are your utensils looking less shiny than usual? Cover the bottom of a pot with aluminum foil, and then pour in a bit of water and two tablespoons of salt. Let your utensils set in this mixture for 3 minutes, then let them dry and finish the process by rubbing them down with a cotton cloth.
- If you want to clean and polish your jewelry, cover the bottom of a pot with aluminum foil and add a bit of liquid detergent. Then, place your jewelry in the pot, and finish them off by washing and drying them.
- If you want to make ironing easier, cover one side with a sheet of aluminum foil and then cover the item with a cloth. You’ll end up ironing both sides at the same time.
- To clean iron, just rub it a few times with a piece of aluminum foil.
- If you want to sharpen your scissors, just fold a sheet of aluminum foil several times and then cut it in several places. Your scissors will be nice and sharp.
- Places pieces of aluminum foil in your potted plants to keep insects from destroying them.
- Grease stains in your oven can be very difficult to get rid of. If you cover your oven with aluminum foil before using it, you will be able to avoid those annoying stains and save lots of time when it comes to cleaning your oven.
- If you use hand soap in your bathroom, wrap it in aluminum foil to keep it good for a longer amount of time and keep it from spilling over
- If you want your pots to look good as new, ball up a piece of aluminum foil and rub it on them when washing.
- If you want to clean your iron and make it look as good as new, just place a sheet of aluminum foil on the ironing board with a bit of salt and run it over the area as if you were ironing. This will get rid of anything that is stuck to the iron, leaving it completely clean.