Beer has a multitude of properties. Besides being refreshing and beneficial for your body in moderation, there are also a few surprising ways to use beer around the house.
You don’t need to use the most expensive imported variety. The beer they sell at the corner store is fine for all of the surprising uses for beer we’ll elaborate below:
1. To soften your hair
Thanks to the malt and lupulin in beer, it can protect and repair your hair and make it shiny and soft.
- Add the beer to a container and let it sit for a few hours for the carbonation to dissipate.
- After washing your hair with shampoo, apply the beer and let it sit for a few minutes.
- Rinse with plenty of water and use conditioner to increase the softening effect and eliminate the beer smell.
“Take a look at this too: Is You Hair Dry and Damaged? Learn About 3 Natural Remedies for Dry Hair”
2. Stain remover
Beer is also great for removing stains, even hard ones like red wine spills.
Just wet a sponge in beer and rub the stained area. Let it dry, and repeat as necessary until the spot is gone.
Insects are attracted to beer because of its smell, a fact you can use to help get rid of them.
- Pour a bit of beer into a cup, cover with plastic wrap, and poke holes in it.
- Let it sit for a day and then when you check, you’ll surely find trapped insects in it.
4. Marinade for meat
Chefs sometimes use beer to marinate meat, as it has the ability to soften, conserve, and flavor meat.
- Take the meat you want to marinate and put it in a container with plenty of the beer.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let it marinate in the refrigerator for at least two hours.
5. Make your pots and pans shine
The acidity of beer makes it perfect for cleaning your steel or copper pots and pans and giving them a shine.
6. Clean wood
Cleaning wood surfaces with beer will give it a beautiful shine. It will help keep it from looking old and dull.
7. Unstick rusty screws
In addition, the acids in beer are also good at dissolving rust on screws.
Just pour the beer onto the screws and let it sit for a few minutes.
8. Get rid of brown spots on your lawn
Due to its fermented sugars, beer works as a natural fertilizer for plants and your yard.
Water your lawn with a bit of beer. This will stimulate new growth, keep fungi away, and make your grass a beautiful green color.
9. Keep slugs away from your garden
Slugs are a headache when you have a garden and want to keep it nice.
To keep them from feeding on your plants, follow these steps:
- Pour a good amount of beer into a jar.
- Make sure it is a tall enough jar that the beer won’t evaporate right away, and do not cover it.
- Put the jar under ground in an area frequented by slugs.
The slugs are attracted by the smell of the beer and then get trapped in the jar.
“Take a look at this article: 5 Beautiful Ideas for Creating a Mini Garden in Your Home”
10. As a fertilizer
The nutrients in brewer’s yeast have been used for decades to help speed up the growth of plants.
It’s very easy to use: just sprinkle a bit of beer onto the roots of your plants and repeat once a day.
11. For insomnia
In addition, the lupulin in beer is recommended for helping you get some sleep.
When you go to wash your pillowcases, mix a bit of beer with water and soak them for a bit.
12. To strengthen your bones
Thanks to beer’s high levels of silicon, an essential mineral in the formation of your tissues, muscles, and bones, moderate consumption gives your body strength.
13. To strengthen your immune system
According to a study done in Spain, beer can stimulate the functioning of your immune system.
However, it should be consumed in moderation, and in the study, the results were seen especially in women.