11 Tips for Applying Eyeliner
If we're not that good at applying eyeliner, it's better to opt for a pencil liner or whichever makes us feel most comfortable. We can use a stencil or an aid to help us get the shape that we want.
While there are also so many styles of eyeliners, using them is usually quite a challenge for those who apply their own make up.
Eyeliner allows you to liven up and emphasize your face; that’s exactly why it’s so important to apply it carefully– because your look depends on it.
If you need help applying eyeliner perfectly then keep reading.
1. Know which eyeliner suits you best
Before you even apply your eyeliner, you should know what kinds of eyeliners are available and which is the best one for you:
- Pencil: Pencil eyeliner is perfect if you don’t have much experience. It’s usually softer than liquid or gel eyeliners.
- Felt tip: These eyeliners are very similar to the liquid variety, with the exception that they store the ink inside the applicator.
- Liquid: Liquid liners require greater precision, they’re darker and have a fine tip.
- Gel: Gel liners are easier to use and they normally come in small bottles with a brush.
We recommend that you read: 4 Makeup Tips You Can’t Overlook
2. Applying eyeliner: the shaky hand
Most of us have difficulties trying to keep our hand still, but that shouldn’t have to ruin our makeup.
You only need to:
- Sit in an area with enough lighting so that you can clearly see what you are doing.
- Steady your elbow on a flat surface, which will keep you from making irregular hand movements.
- When applying the eyeliner, rest your pinky on your cheek. By doing so, you’ll completely stabilize the shakes.
- Keep breathing steadily and you’ll avoid any surprise movements.
3. Guiding dots and eyeliner
If you’re not very experienced with eyeliner, you can start by making guiding dots on your eyelid and connect them all later.
You can also try drawing an outline: the trick is in making them thin and as close to your eyelashes as possible.
4. Don’t stretch out your skin
It might seem easier to put on eyeliner when you stretch the skin around the eye. However, once you let go, the eyeliner will be disastrous.
If you can’t avoid doing it, simply clean up the eyeliner with a little makeup remover and a swab, or just apply corrector on the messy areas.
5. Lining with tape
If you want your eyeliner to have a fine and perfect tip, but you find it difficult to achieve it because your hand just isn’t complying, then try the following steps:
- Firstly, find some adhesive tape.
- Then place it in between the eyelashes and eyebrow, or at the height of the corner of your eye (as shown in the image above).
- After that, apply the eyeliner as you normally would.
- Leave it to dry completely.
- Finally, remove the tape carefully.
You can also use a lining card, or a homemade stencil.
6. Freeze your eyeliner
If your eyeliner starts to crumble or break, consider doing the following:
- Carefully clean the tip
- Close it tightly
- Then place it in the freezer
- Leave to freeze for at least 20 minutes
By doing so, your eyeliner can come together again, and you can avoid a makeup mishap in the future.
We recommend:11 Tips for Long Lasting Makeup
7. For even more striking eyes
If you want everyone to notice your eyes, line the inner line of your eyelid. This will give your eye a deepening effect which will showcase it even more.
9. For emergencies, use mascara
If you’re in a hurry and you can’t find your eyeliner or if you run out, do the following:
- Firstly, find a thin brush
- Then use the mascara wand to take out some of the mascara
- After that, apply the mascara to your eye as you normally would with eyeliner
Mascara has the same color tone as eyeliner which makes the difference unnoticeable.
10. The cat-eye
If you want to perfectly applying this look, then look at the following steps:
- Make sure that your eyelid is completely dry before starting.
- Shake your eyeliner well to break up crumbs.
- Make a basic outline with a wing.
- Check the line before continuing. If the height wing doesn’t convince you, bring it up a little higher.
- Make a completely straight line from the wing to the center.
- Fill in the space in between.
- Let it dry.
- Repeat on the other eye.
11. When you’re applying eyeliner
Every time you plan to line your eyes, you should be confident, as it won’t come out well if you don’t believe in yourself.
Don’t get frustrated if you can’t apply it perfecting on the first try. With a little practice, you’ll get better and you’ll be an expert in no time.