11 Reasons Why Your Feet Sweat Excessively
While it could be due to a medical problem that requires a diagnosis and treatment, perspiration in your feet is generally due to problems that can be easily resolved.
Do your feet sweat a lot? If so, don’t worry! We’ve all had this problem at some time and we know it can be quite bothersome.
Fortunately, for most, it is just an isolated occurrence resulting from a long walk or a very hot climate.
However, if this turns into a recurring problem you should know that there could be many reasons for it, but generally, it is just a common condition.
In rare cases, it could be due to a medical condition or inadequate hygiene.
Here we will tell you the reasons why your feet sweat excessively. Pay close attention to see which one applies to you.
If you are not able to control it, you should see a podiatrist so that he can help you find a solution.
1. Your feet sweat excessively because you choose the wrong footwear
This is one of the main reasons why your feet sweat excessively, but also one of the easiest to remedy.
Shoes are very important items, but we rarely give them the attention they need. If you normally use shoes made out of synthetic materials or tightly laced you will suffer the consequences.
- Footwear that does not have enough ventilation or that is made from inadequate materials increase the perspiration of your feet.
- The ideal would be to choose shoes made from natural materials and with good ventilation.
- Furthermore, they should adapt to your needs and not cause ingrown toe nails.
2. Poor quality socks
The use of synthetic and plastic fibers in your socks has become common place. This can happen due to economic reasons or because you found a style of socks that you like because of its texture.
- The bad news is that synthetic fibers increase the temperature of your feet.
- This will not be a problem during the cold season or at night. However, in hot climates or while playing sports, this can present a problem.
3. Your feet are prisoners of your shoes
Perhaps you are a very busy person and your feet remain enclosed in shoes all day. If you do not take the time to use sandals or comfortable shoes you could find your feet sweating excessively.
- Try to take your shoes off for a few hours during the afternoon and evening.
- To prevent injury use a good pair of shower shoes. Also, it is a good idea to use open shoes one or more days of the week.
It is probable that you have not analyzed it, nor even believe it, but there are foods that increase the perspiration of your feet. That is the case with spicy foods, soft drinks, and caffeine.
- If you suffer from excessive foot sweat avoid these foods for a few days or weeks.
- If you notice an improvement then be sure to limit consumption of these products in the future.
5. Health problems
Other reasons why your feet may sweat excessively could be illnesses such as:
- Illnesses that alter the nervous system
- Liver problems
If you have made sure that your footwear and socks are good quality and your diet is free of the foods mentioned above, but the problem persists, have a medical exam to rule out any of these medical problems.
Hyperhidrosis is a condition that can only be diagnosed by your medical doctor.
It is caused by the sweat glands not functioning properly in certain areas of the body that produce an excessive amount of sweat without any apparent reason.
There is treatment available to control severe cases of hyperhidrosis. Extremely severe cases may require a simple surgery.
7. Poor hygiene
This is an obvious reason for excessive perspiration. If proper hygiene is not maintained, it is very probable that your feet will begin to sweat excessively.
The body excretes toxins by means of sweat. If these toxins feel trapped in the feet they will look for a way to get free, and that is by means of excessive sweat.
It would be wise to:
- Always wash your feet
- Dry them properly
- Change your socks daily
- Use talcum powder
8. Emotional factors
A reason why your feet may be sweating excessively could be your emotional state.
It is likely that your feet feel wet when you are in situations where you feel nervous, mad, afraid, stressed, or excited.
If you are going through a period where your emotions are not controlled, try to calm down to avoid excessive sweat.
On occasion, excessive perspiration can be genetic.
Have you noticed that members of your family sweat a lot? If that is the case, you don’t have too many options, other than looking for cosmetic products to control the problem.
Infections find a perfect place to reside in feet with poor hygiene.
- The proliferation of fungus is the result of a maceration of bacteria’s which can affect both the nails and the rest of the foot.
- If you suffer from this condition, there are creams you can use. These creams can be found at the pharmacy and are very economical.
11. Attached to a pair of shoes
Do you have a pair of shoes you will not get rid of because they are your favorites? Do you use the same pair of shoes more than two days in a row?
If you have a pair of shoes that you really like, buy more than one pair of them.
That way you can have various colors to choose from, which will make it easier to coordinate with your different outfits.