11 Reasons Why Your Feet Sweat Excessively
While it could be due to a medical problem, if your feet sweat excessively it could be because of problems that can be easily fixed.
Do your feet sweat excessively? Don’t worry! We’ve all had this problem at some point in time and we know it can be quite bothersome. Fortunately, for most, it’s just an isolated occurrence resulting from a long walk or a very hot climate.
However, if this turns into a recurring problem you should know that there could be many reasons for it, but it’s generally just a common condition. In rare cases, it could be due to a medical condition or inadequate hygiene.
Here we’ll tell you the reasons why your feet sweat excessively. Pay close attention to see which one applies to you. But if you are not able to control it, you should see a podiatrist so that he can help you find a solution.
1. Your feet sweat excessively because you choose the wrong footwear
This is one of the main reasons why your feet sweat excessively, but also one of the easiest to fix.
Shoes are very important items, but we rarely give them the attention they need. If you normally use shoes made out of synthetic materials or tie them tightly you’ll suffer the consequences.
- Footwear that doesn’t have enough ventilation or that’s made from inadequate materials increases the perspiration of your feet.
- Ideally, you should choose shoes made from natural materials and with good ventilation.
- Furthermore, they should adapt to your needs and not cause ingrown toe nails.
2. Poor quality socks
Synthetic and plastic fibers in your socks has become very common. This can happen due to economic reasons or because you found a style of socks that you like because of its texture.
- The bad news is that synthetic fibers increase the temperature of your feet.
- This won’t be a problem during the cold season or at night. However, in hot climates or while playing sports, this can present a problem.
3. Your feet are prisoners of your shoes
Perhaps you are a very busy person and your feet remain enclosed in shoes all day. If you don’t take the time to use sandals or comfortable shoes you could find that you feet sweat excessively.
- Try to take your shoes off for a few hours during the afternoon and evening.
- To prevent injuries use a good pair of shower shoes. Also, it’s a good idea to use open shoes one or more days of the week.
It’s likely that you haven’t thought about it, or even believe it, but there are foods that increase the perspiration of your feet. That’s the case with spicy foods, soft drinks, and caffeine.
- If your feet sweat excessively, avoid these foods for a few days or weeks.
- If you notice an improvement then be sure to limit consumption of these products in the future.
5. Health problems
Other reasons why your feet may sweat excessively could be illnesses such as:
- Illnesses that alter the nervous system
- Liver problems
If you’re sure your footwear and socks are good quality and your diet is free of the foods mentioned above, but the problem persists, go get a medical exam done to rule out any of these medical problems.
Hyperhidrosis is a condition that can only be diagnosed by your doctor.
It’s caused by the sweat glands not functioning properly in certain areas of the body; therefore, they produce an excessive amount of sweat without any apparent reason.
There’s treatments available to control severe cases of hyperhidrosis. Extremely severe cases may require a simple surgery.
7. Poor hygiene
This is an obvious reason that could make your feet sweat excessively. If you don’t maintain a proper hygiene regimen, it’s very likely that your feet will begin to sweat excessively.
The body excretes toxins through sweat. If these toxins are trapped in the feet they’ll look for a way out, making your feet sweat excessively.
It would be wise to:
- Always wash your feet
- Dry them properly
- Change your socks daily
- Use talcum powder
8. Emotional factors
A reason why your feet may be sweating excessively could be your emotional state.
It’s likely that your feet get wet when you are in situations where you feel nervous, mad, afraid, stressed, or excited.
If you are going through a period where your emotions are out of control, try to calm down to avoid excessive sweat.
Sometimes, excessive perspiration can be genetic.
Have you noticed that members of your family sweat a lot? If that’s the case, you don’t have too many options, other than looking for cosmetic products to control the problem.
Infections find a perfect place to reside in feet with poor hygiene.
- The proliferation of fungus is the result of a maceration of bacteria’s which can affect both the nails and the rest of the foot.
- If you suffer from this condition, there are creams you can use. These creams can be found at the pharmacy and are very affordable.
11. Attached to a pair of shoes
Do you have a pair of shoes you won’t get rid of because they’re your favorites? Do you use the same pair of shoes more than two days in a row?
If you have a pair of shoes that you really like, buy more than one pair of them.
That way you can have various colors to choose from, which will make it easier to coordinate with your different outfits.