Do you know that preventing vomiting is possible?
Vomiting is one of the body’s natural mechanisms for removing harmful foods from the stomach. However, that doesn’t make it any less uncomfortable or unpleasant, and it’s even more so when the urge is frequent and makes you feel terrible.
There are many potential causes that can lead to vomiting, like:
- Gastric infections
- Motion sickness
- Taking certain medications
- Intestinal obstruction
Further below, you’ll find some useful advice that can help you prevent yourself from vomiting, or at the very least, to calm it down.
1. Breathe deeply
Breathe deeply anywhere where there’s fresh air.
When we breathe deeply, we compress our stomach, which puts pressure on our diaphragm. This makes it harder for the stomach content to rise up towards our mouth.
2. Ginger tea
Drinking ginger tea every two or three hours can help prevent vomiting, especially in cases of pregnancy.
This is thanks to its nutrients like:
- Vitamin C
You can add sugar or juice from a half of a lemon if you find the ginger flavor unpleasant.
Also see: How to Lose Weight with Ginger Tea
3. Chamomile tea
Chamomile flowers contain pain-relieving and anti-inflammatory properties that relieve:
- Stomach upsets
Combine a cup of hot water with a teaspoon of dried flowers or two tea bags. The tea needs to steep in order to release all of the properties of the chamomile.
Once ready, sip on the tea slowly. You can drink it two or three times a day if necessary.
4. Mint tea
Mint reduces intestinal irritation while it helps digestion at the same time, thus reducing and preventing vomiting that results from stomach upsets.
- Sipping on three cups of hot tea each day is enough to see the benefits.
- Chewing on mint flavored gum will also work as it gives off the same effect of relief.
5. Rice water
When rice boils, it releases all of its nutrients into the water:
- Vitamin B
- Folic acid
Rice water is a wonderful home remedy for dealing with urges to vomit.
What should you do?
- Cook a cup of rice in one liter of water for 20 minutes.
- Strain the water and let it cool down.
- Drink a cup or two slowly every day.
Ice makes for a simple remedy that boasts an instant effect by chewing and sucking on ice cubes.
Though this remedy is very handy, its effects don’t last long.
Ice or cold food makes the stomach constrict slower, which makes it harder for the body to vomit.
7. Apple cider vinegar
You can make a mouthwash by using apple cider vinegar. The aim is to freshen up your breath, which will taper off your urge to vomit.
- 1 tablespoon of vinegar (10 ml)
- ½ cup of water (100 ml)
What should I do?
- Mix both ingredients and gargle for a few seconds.
- It’s very important to keep the vinegar away from your nose. Vinegar’s strong and piercing smell might provoke vomiting instead of stopping it.
8. Cold or hot compresses
- For this method, you’ll need hot and cold compresses.
- Place one cold compress on your stomach and switch it with the hot compress every two minutes.
- This technique helps relax the stomach, making it harder for food to go back upwards.
9. Soft foods
Feeling the urge to vomit might erase any kind of appetite, but just in case, it’s important to remember to avoid greasy and heavy foods at all cost.
You should opt for smaller portions of food that are easy to digest such as:
- White meat
- A small serving of rice
You can also fight urges to vomit by not forcing heavy and processed foods into your body.
Want to know more? Read: Medicinal Uses of Ginger
10. Don’t lay down
If you’re suffering from urges to vomit, ceaselessly moving around or laying down in bed are terrible ideas because they’ll only strengthen the urge.
- Staying seated is the best idea, whether it’s in a chair or on the bed. Try to be as comfortable as possible sitting up.
- Staying in this position will prevent motion-sickness and nausea that can lead to vomiting.
What should you do if you can’t stop vomiting?
These ten tips work great against vomiting but, if you still can’t stop, you should consult your doctor.
The reason for your vomiting might be more serious.