Acid reflux, or gastroesophageal reflux disease, occurs when the contents of the stomach such as food and gastric juices or acids rise up the esophagus towards the mouth.
Although it doesn’t always reach the mouth, it tends to travel up the length of the esophagus, around 40 cm, and can cause a burning sensation or acidity.
Acid reflux tends to arise when the body is tilted or when lying down after eating an abundant or fatty meal. It happens most easily during the night, when you lie down to sleep.
If you tend to suffer from this problem, we recommend you sleep with the head end of the bed tilted up, rather than sleeping horizontally.
Heartburn is the most common sign, however there are other stranger symptoms that we will tell you about here:
1. Increased salivation
One of the first strange symptoms of acid reflux that you will experience is excess salivation, and this may happen while eating.
What will happen is that you’ll feel that the quantity of saliva is greater than usual. This is a mechanism of the saliva glands that are preparing to digest the food that you eat better.
If we are talking about strange symptoms of acid reflux, pneumonia is one of the least expected ones.
- This happens because when the stomach acids travel up the esophagus, not only do they cause irritation but in some cases, they can also reach the lungs.
- If this happens, you can suffer a lung infection and get pneumonia as a result of the acid reflux.
3. Chest pain
The third strange symptom of acid reflex tends to be associated more with heart attacks than reflux.
However, in many cases, the chest pain is due to acid reflux and, even if it is not serious, you should go to the hospital or emergency room.
4. Sour taste in the mouth
When gastric acids rise up the esophagus, they can cause a sour taste at the back of the throat.
- This taste will stay for a few hours and mainly affects tasting the flavor of foods.
- Some people associate this problem with lack of mouth hygiene or liver problems. Rather than staying in doubt, check whether you are experiencing any of the other strange symptoms of acid reflux.
5. Snoring and respiratory problems when sleeping
Are you experiencing respiratory problems? Do they increase or get worse during the night? This could be due to acid reflux that causes a “whistle” as it travels up from the stomach.
Equally, the gastric acids can reach the respiratory tract and cause irritations and infections with episodes of coughing and breathlessness during the night.
6. Problems digesting food
When acid reflux is silent and isn’t treated for a long time, the gastric acids in the esophagus leave scars and burns.
This will affect the passage of food because you’ll start to experience uncomfortable sensations when eating.
- The most common sensation is to feel scratching when swallowing.
- Acidic or spicy foods will cause the biggest problems.
- To avoid this becoming a problem that prevents you maintaining a varied diet, try to treat acid reflux as soon as possible.
Another strange symptom of acid reflux happens when the gastric acids rise up the esophagus. The sensation can vary from one person to another and can be difficult to identify, to begin with.
Depending on the intensity, you may experience it as a mild discomfort or an intense pain in the chest.
This is the sensation that comes up when the acid travels up the esophagus. In some cases, it can cause vomiting.
- If this happens frequently, it can erode the tooth enamel and cause dental problems.
Dyspepsia is indigestion accompanied by discomfort in the upper part of the stomach. Sometimes it is painful and it is always present as a symptom of acid reflux.
Some people may feel:
- Sensation of being too full
- Stomach pain
If you have these symptoms, it is advisable to see a doctor to prevent complications like ulcers or cancer.
10. Dry cough
The last of the strange symptoms of acid reflux is that it tends to cause a sensation of a lump in the throat.
This sensation is very uncomfortable so you’ll feel the need to cough or clear your throat frequently.
Recognize the strange symptoms of acid reflux
Have you noticed one or several of these symptoms in yourself or someone close to you? If so, it is advisable to seek the help of a specialist to undergo the necessary examinations to find out whether you have acid reflux.
With a timely diagnosis, treatment is simpler and it is usually enough to change a few habits or adjust the diet, eliminating or including certain foods.
Main image courtesy of © wikiHow.com