We all deal with headaches from time to time.
From children to adults, we’ve all had headaches that sometimes feel unbearable and make us feel terrible.
Some of the most common causes of headaches are:
- Exertion (whether physical or visual)
- Postural issues
They are a big pain and sometimes lead to vomiting, nausea, and dizziness.
The worst thing that can happen is for a headache to turn into a migraine because that is when the dreaded nausea comes into play.
It is never a good idea to let a headache get away from you, so acting right away is important.
How can I find relief from headaches?
It’s true that there is a multitude of medications out there for headaches, like acetaminophen or paracetamol.
However, the problem is that it’s not good to use them regularly, just like any other chemical, because they can have side effects.
The most effective way to get relief from a headache is to:
- Relax, if it is coming from stress.
- Eat, if it is from hunger or a drop in sugar or potassium levels.
- Drink water, if it is from dehydration.
Sometimes headaches get so bad that you have to take drastic measures to get control and end it once and for all.
Today we’ll show you 10 home remedies for headaches.
Check this out too: Foods and Medicines that You Should Never Mix Together
Home remedies for headaches
1. Hot water
- You can place a hot water bag on the back of your neck or alternatively lay one around your neck.
- This technique will help to release a lot of tension.
- You can also opt for a warm shower with lavender salts.
- Place a few ice cubes in a sealed bag and cover with a cloth.
- Place on your forehead or directly on the area of pain for 20 minutes.
- This is an effective and quick solution for headaches, in addition to helping you reestablish good circulation.
3. Drink water
As we mentioned before, a lot of times headaches come from dehydration.
- The idea is to have a few glasses of preferably room-temperature water.
- Eat foods with high water content such as watermelon, cucumber, or squash.
Headaches that come from stress and worrying can be solved by simply relaxing.
- Lay down in a comfortable place or right on your bed and rest.
- Listen to relaxing music or take a nap.
- Sleeping helps your brain release hormones that are as powerful as medicine, so it is a very effective home remedy.
We recommend reading: Why We Get Sleepy After Eating and the Foods that are to Blame
5. Chamomile tea
Chamomile is a widely known plant, famous for its anti-inflammatory qualities, making it great for relieving headaches.
- 3 tablespoons of chamomile (30 g)
- 2 cups of water (500 ml)
- Boil the water and then add the chamomile.
- Let sit for 15 minutes and then strain.
How to consume
Drink throughout the day, and if you like, add a bit of lemon juice.
A very simple option for getting rid of headaches is massage.
- You can massage your scalp, forehead, neck, temples, eyebrows, or underneath your eyes.
- Press lightly with your fingertips and adjust the pressure to what you need.
7. Lavender essential oil
Lavender is known as an effective relaxer. Using the essential oil works to relieve headaches quickly.
- Add 5 drops of lavender essential oil to another oil, whether olive oil or almond, and massage your scalp.
- Another alternative is to add the oil directly to your pillow and rest with the fragrance soothing you.
8. Olive oil
Olive oil is full of antioxidants and is one of the best home remedies for headaches.
- Take 2 tablespoons plain and you’ll see your recurring headaches go away.
We recommend reading: 9 Uses for Olive Oil to Leave You Looking Beautiful
- Place a few pieces of watermelon on your temples and let sit for 30 minutes.
This will help reduce inflammation, helping relieve pain.
10. Apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup of water (200 ml)
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar (10 ml)
Add the tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to a cup of room-temperature water and consume.
While it may not taste the best, it is an easy, effective solution for headaches and migraines.
Principal image courtesy of wikiHow.com