If you suffer from liquid retention, taking care of your diet is extremely important for treating this problem.
Some fruits and vegetables are made up of a large amount of water, which helps to eliminate excess liquids through urination. Continue reading this article to learn more!
How do diuretic foods work?
Those elements that have the ability to increase urine production, and therefore help to eliminate some of the body’s water, are known as diuretics.
They are recommended for people who suffer from excess water retention or edema.
The good news is that, in addition to them allowing us to release accumulated water, these foods also stimulate the functions of the kidneys. These organs are in charge of filtering the blood and eliminating toxins.
Excess liquids are not good for our body since they can increase blood pressure and affect our cardiac health. We can enjoy the diuretic advantages of many fruits and vegetables without having to use medication.
Fruits and vegetables that help reduce liquid retention
The best diuretic that exists, without a doubt, is water. So, I am sure that you have read or heard more than once the importance of drinking at least 2 liters of water a day.
Also, we can include natural liquids and nourish ourselves in the process. How? Through natural foods like fruits and vegetables.
If you have a problem with liquid retention, don’t hesitate to add these to your diet:
This delicious yellow fruit contains many nutrients that not only help to eliminate liquids, but also strengthen the liver, heart, and lungs.
- Pineapple provides vitamins (A, B6, B9, C, and K) and minerals (sodium, potassium, iron, calcium, and magnesium).
- As if that wasn’t enough, with its diuretic properties, it is also a laxative and helps if you are suffering from constipation. It is, without a doubt, a potent purifier and detoxifier for the body.
Don’t hesitate to eat a slice of pineapple a day, whether for breakfast, mid-morning or as a dessert at other meals.
- This fruit that we use a lot in our favorite dishes helps with the elimination of excess liquids and provides a large amount of potassium. This helps to counteract the action of sodium (one of the causes of edema).
- Tomato also has vitamin C that helps the kidneys work to increase diuresis (urine production). They are also low in calories.
You should eat them raw to get all of their benefits.
- It is made up of a very high percentage of water.
- Watermelon is very low in calories and therefore is very recommendable for diets when trying to lose weight. It detoxifies and eliminates liquids.
- Watermelon also has a lot of vitamin A and potassium.
Nothing is more refreshing than a slice of watermelon on a summer afternoon.
Not only do they give us Popeye-like strength, but this leafy vegetable is also rich in magnesium, vitamin B and has very interesting diuretic properties.
At the same time, spinach provides the necessary fibers to stimulate the intestinal tract and stop constipation.
Eat it raw in salads to be able to get all of its benefits.
This is another fruit that is made up mostly of water and that we definitely recommend when dealing with liquid retention.
- It stimulates the production and expulsion of urine which clears the body of waste and toxins.
- Melon barely has any calories and is very satiating
- It also provides you with potassium to help control the balance of liquids in the body
It is a vegetable with depurative and diuretic properties that you should not waste.
Artichokes can be eaten a hundred different ways and the best part is that it provides the body with the potassium that it needs to eliminate excess liquids.
When we take a bite of a delicious red or green apple, we realize the amount of liquid it has inside. That is why it is so refreshing in the summer.
Also, they are a fruit with incredible depurative properties. They contain fiber, which improves the intestinal tract, and the necessary nutrients to eliminate liquids through urination.
Rich in excellent quality essential fatty acids, this fruit can help to replace mayonnaise or other similar condiments in our foods.
Also, it provides vitamin C, magnesium, and potassium. So, we recommend that you eat avocado if you are having trouble with liquid retention.
In reality, all of the citric fruits have a large amount of water and can help those suffering from edemas. Also, they provide vitamin C and many times the cause of water retention is a lack of it.
Along with grapefruit, we recommend you eat oranges and mandarines at any time throughout the day. The best time would be for breakfast to give your body these nutrients right away.
It is a fruit with a lot of properties (among them are anti-inflammatory, astringents, digestive, and diuretic).
- They also help to purify the blood and provide us with soluble fiber that regulates the functions of the intestine and reduces cholesterol
- As if that wasn’t enough, pears are made up of a lot of water and provide us with vitamin C
Other fruits and vegetables that also help to reduce water retention are papayas, asparagus, bananas, parsley, purple grapes, and celery.