10 Foods That, Just by Their Appearance, Indicate if They Are Chemically-treated Foods or Natural
Do you know how to tell the difference between chemically-treated foods or natural foods?
As we know, fruits and vegetables are essential for a healthy and balanced diet due to the multiple benefits they give to your body and your mind.
However, the need to preserve a certain amount of crops has generated the use of pesticides and fertilizers, products that are then absorbed by food.
For this reason, you must research certain tips that will help you make a better selection while purchasing your groceries.
Pay attention to this list of ten basic foods and their characteristics to help you while shopping.
How to differentiate chemically-treated foods or natural foods with a single glance
Do not be fooled by those large, intensely orange carrots. Although they can be large and very appetizing, they are not recommended.
Also Pay attention to the possible spots that they may have.
Potatoes absorb a lot of chemicals. Therefore, it’s best that you choose the tubers of medium size and do not let yourself be seduced by those smooth and large potatoes.
- Another way to find out is by pricking the skin with your nail. If it cracks, you can buy it with confidence.
It is easy to check if the tomatoes are natural. For this, you will have to verify by touch.
If you see that the skin looks artificial, and visually you can see white stripes, the food contains nitrates.
- The tomato should be of a homogeneous color and have a small stem.
When buying cucumbers, you’ll have to look for a hard end. Include them on your list if they are in season.
If you cut a cucumber, and in its interior you do not see seeds, it is best that you throw it away, because it is loaded with numerous toxic substances.
Cabbage is another easy-to-identify food. You should check that the leaves of the cabbage are clean, thin and have a uniform color.
Spots are not the exception, in this case.
Although the large ones without a single spot seem more appetizing, it is better to select those of smaller size, with small imperfections and that are half greenish.
- To make sure it’s an organic apple, cover it with boiling water.
- If an oily film appears on the skin, it has been treated with paraffin, mixed with other substances. In that case, you better not eat it.
The surface of this vegetable speaks for itself. If its skin is clean and smooth, it is ideal to buy.
On the contrary, if it presents fibrous stripes that are not straight, or dark spots, it is because it contains high levels of pesticides.
To avoid risks when buying them, remember that the natural ones do not stand out for an ideal appearance or for presenting a bright color.
- One of the biggest characteristics of strawberries that have not been treated with chemicals is their particular smell.
- Another trick is to put them in cold water. After a few minutes they should release their juice; if not, it is because they have been subjected to chemical treatments.
It is a fruit that should be consumed preferably in season. Otherwise, the food may have been exposed to certain nitrates.
- When cutting, do not forget that if the watermelon is bright red with yellow fibers, it is already a symptom of the existence of nitrates.
- The fibers of a “good” watermelon are white.
Knowing which cherries to choose is not so complicated. Notice that the color of the fruit is bright and uniform. If, on the other hand, they are dull in color with whitish spots on the skin, it is because they were subjected to pesticides.
- To check their condition, you can cover the cherries with boiling water.
- If, after a while, the smell of cherry does not change, everything is fine.
Go ahead and put these tips into practice and do not let yourself be carried away by those fruits and vegetables that seem to come from movies.
Ideally, they should be different sizes, strong smelling, and not so pretty and bright. If their color, shape and structure are not uniform, it’s usually a good sign.
Weigh the food with your hand and always choose the heaviest.
Even if it seems unpleasant, if you find an insect, don’t worry: it is indicative that it is from organic crops.
Also, wash them carefully and, if possible, subject the fruits to a heat treatment.It might interest you...