10 Exercises to Flatten Your Abdomen
Summer is right around the corner, which may lead you to raid your closet… and realize that some clothes don’t fit you like last summer. If your abdomen is somewhat bulky, we propose some exercises to flatten your abdomen that you can do at home without problems.
This article may interest you: How to Slim the Abdomen by Following the Apple Diet
Exercise routine 1 to flatten your abdomen
As a first measure, before doing any physical activity, it’s essential to maintain a healthy and balanced diet.
To flatten your abdomen, you should consume fewer carbohydrates as well as do regular exercise (at least three times a week). If you don’t have time or the will to go to the gym, don’t worry. We offer the following home routine:
- Lie on your back on a mat.
- Put your hands under your buttocks and stretch out your legs.
- Lift them up together, with the tops of your feet aligned with your knees (so that your toes are pointing to the roof).
- Your legs should be perpendicular to the floor.
- Bring them back down without touching the floor with your heels. Do 20 repetitions.
We recommend reading: Swollen Legs: Causes and Cures
Leg and pelvis lifts
The initial position of this exercise to flatten your abdomen starts where the previous exercise left off.
- Start with your legs up, perpendicular to the floor.
- Then, lift them over backward, so that your feet go beyond the level of your head. Your pelvis will also lift up.
- Do 30 repetitions.
Hands to ankles
This exercise requires coordination and flexibility (which you will improve with practice, don’t worry!).
- Lie on your back on a mat and stretch your legs up as in the previous exercises.
- Leave them stretched up, because this time, you’re going to work on your torso.
- Try to touch your ankles with your hands (at first, you’ll reach your knees).
- Your arms and abs will provide the impulse to reach up. Repeat 30 times.
- Lying on the mat, stretch out your legs and position your arms beside your body.
- Open both of your legs outwards at the same time, and move them like you’re “drawing” circles with them.
- Do 20 repetitions and then repeat, but moving in the opposite direction.
Plank and sides
The exercise known as the plank is very efficient for burning abdomen fat. Although it’s very difficult and somewhat painful, the results are worthwhile. Of course, there are many variations, such as including moving the body to the sides.
- The points of support are the toes, the elbows, the forearms, and the hands.
- Then, the rest of the body must swing from right to left without touching the floor.
- Do as many movements as you can in 1 minute.
Exercise routine 2 to flatten your abdomen
To make sure that you don’t get bored and that you can really work well on this challenging part of the body, here’s another series of exercises to say goodbye to belly fat:
- Start by lying on the mat on your right side, with your legs stretched out.
- You can support the soles of your feet against a wall or a piece of furniture until you get used to the exercise.
- Position your right elbow and forearm on the floor and lift up your hips.
- To balance the body, lift your left arm over your head.
- Then, hold this position for a few seconds and then swap sides.
- Finally, try to do 5 lifts on each side.
- Lie on your back and bend your knees (supporting the soles of your feet on the floor).
- Cross your right ankle over your left thigh.
- Put your left hand behind your head and lift your torso to touch the raised knee.
- Do 20 repetitions and repeat on the other side.
This is an exercise that’s commonly used in Pilates and serves to strengthen the internal and lower muscles of the abdomen.
- Lie on your back on the mat, stretching out your legs and putting your hands under your thighs.
- Then, lift up your right leg as high as you can and, as you bring it down, lift up the left leg.
- The movement is like a pair of scissors (hence the name) or a seesaw.
- Do 20 lifts for each leg.
- Lying on your back on the mat, you should put your arms beside your body.
- Bend your knees and support the soles of your feet.
- Lift your pelvis so that your torso rises off the floor.
- The points of contact with the floor are the head, the shoulders, the arms, and the feet. The rest of the body should be in the air, forming a bridge or triangle.
- After a few seconds in this position, come down slowly without touching the mat with your thighs. Do 30 repetitions.
Lunges with twists
This variation on this exercise not only works the legs but also the abs. On the other hand, you can do it with or without weights (you can hold the dumbbells between your hands).
- Standing up with the spine straight, take a step forward with your left leg and bend your knee so that your body lowers down.
- Your right leg should be stretched out with your knee facing the floor.
- Twist your torso to the right.
- Come back to the center and return to the original position. Repeat 20 times with each leg.
It might interest you...