Healthy Foods that You Are Eating Wrong
You can find healthy foods in any supermarket or store in forms that are not nutritious or good for your body. The problem with these products is that they tend to be made with conservatives, dyes, and sweeteners that have little or no nutritional value for our body. Below we’ll provide a list of healthy foods that we eat wrong more and more frequently.
Granola is a mixture of grains that has been adopted as a base for breakfast or dinner. This mixture tends to include: oats, barley, wheat, puffed rice, dried fruits, seeds, walnuts, and dehydrated fruit. Although it is true that all of these products are healthy and we recommend including them in your diet for good nutrition, mass produced granola tends to be one of the healthy foods that is eaten wrong. The reasons are:
- A high percentage of saturated fats
- Whole grains that have been over-processed
- A lot of refined sugars
- The presence of conservatives that are harmful to your health
Mass produced granola tends to come in big packages and you are not always conscious of the minimum and base amount you should eat. All of this results in eating an excessive amount of harmful products for your health, thinking that you are eating healthily. If you want to include it, make it at home with natural ingredients. Here is a recipe that you can modify with the ingredients that you like:
- 4 cups of whole flakes of your choice (rice, oats, etc.)
- 65 grams of sunflower seeds
- 32 grams of pumpkin seeds
- 95 grams of crushed almonds
- 230 grams of chopped nuts
- 1 teaspoon of powdered cinnamon
Mix all of the ingredients and put the mixture in a glass jar. Cover the jar and keep the granola in there for when you need it.
When you want to eat the granola, take half a cup of the above mixture and mix it with yogurt or milk of your choice. You can add a serving of a seasonal fruit if you would like.
Fried Banana Chips or Plantains
Fried plantain is another healthy food that you eat wrong. This snack allows for this sweet flavor of this fruit to stay along with the crunchy sensation of fried products. The problems that this food has on your health are:
- 10 grams of fried plantain has 150 calories while a large natural banana has 108 calories.
- It increases your cholesterol levels because of the fat absorbed by the oils that you fry it with.
- It increases the chances of experiencing heart problems caused by cholesterol levels.
If you want to eat crunchy foods, go for seeds like peanuts, walnuts, or almonds. If you prefer something similar to fried plantain, try natural carrot chips with the following recipe:
- 2 carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon of powdered cinnamon
- 1/4 tablespoon of powdered ginger
- Cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 250°.
- Wash, disinfect and peel the carrots. With a vegetable peeler, remove the skin from the carrots to make thin strips.
- Put the strips in a bowl and sprinkle with cinnamon and ginger.
- Spray oil on a baking sheet and add the carrot strips. Make sure that they aren’t on top of each other and that all of them have been sprinkled with cinnamon and ginger.
- You will know that the carrots are ready when they start to look brownish.
- Let them chill on the sheet and eat.
You can eat these chips just like fried plantains or combine them with natural yogurt sweetened with honey.
Low Fat Yogurt
Yogurt is one of the healthy foods that you eat wrong when you are looking for low-fat options without knowing the extra ingredients they contain. You should remember that the texture of yogurt is based mainly on the fat from milk. Therefore, low-fat milk is high in sugars and conservatives that help compensate for the original texture and flavor.
If your intention is to eat yogurt without worrying about the extra calories, it is much more recommended to make your own natural yogurt that you can always accompany with natural fruit, honey, granola, etc. If you want to buy yogurt, look for one with ingredients that include only milk and natural dairy derivatives, with no conservatives, sugars, or any other kind of chemical. If you prefer to make your own homemade yogurt, follow this recipe:
- 250 mL of milk
- 3 tablespoons of natural yogurt
- Put the milk in a big pot and cook on medium to high heat until it reaches 180 degrees, stirring once in awhile to prevent it from burning, for 5 to 7 minutes. Let cool to 115 degrees.
- Mix 1 cup of milk and 3 tablespoons of yogurt. When this is well mixed, add the rest of the milk.
- Transfer the entire mixture to a jar, wrap it (uncovered) in 2 clean kitchen towels, with the sides and top part completely cover. Let stand in a warm place until the yogurt has a creamy consistency (4 to 5 hours).
- When the mixture has the desired texture, let the uncovered jar chill.
- After 30 minutes, cover the jar completely.
It is normal to see the vegetable sections of the supermarkets offering trays of frozen salads. At first glance, they may seem like a good option for your diet because they only contain vegetables and they are ready to eat. However, this is one of the healthy foods that you are eating wrong when you eat them with the additives or dressings that tend to come with them and are rich in salt, glucose, conservatives, etc.
If you want to include salads in your diet, go for one made at home or the frozen kinds with few or no additives.